question

Gilles Tremblay avatar image
Gilles Tremblay asked

How Battery cycle count works on the Smartshunt?

I have a smartshunt connected to my battery bank since December 2021and still have 0 cycle count and have only 118 synchronisations. Seems not normal to get no cycles in more than 15 months of operation.

battery chargingSmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

The SmartShunt only counts a cycle if the SOC goes below a certain value like 80% or 85%. I have no cycles listed on my boat and typically I have never gone below 83%. The number of synchronisations is for automatic synchronisation if it goes to 100% based on tail current being reached while the SOC is below 100% at which point it is automatically synchronised to 100%. If your settings are such that the amphour counting gets to 100% before you reach the tail current trigger then it will not count as an automatic synchronisation.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Gilles Tremblay avatar image Gilles Tremblay commented ·
I checked my history and I never gone below 81%. It is probably the reason why. Thanks for your answer.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Gilles Tremblay

Some people count a cycle as a discharge and charge to 100%. So think they avoid the 'cycle' by not recharging to 100%.

Lead acids do not like this by the way. Always fully recharge with a good absorption time.

Some lead acids as soon as they leave float service are classed as cycled.

Lithiums nowadays count differently (well not all). Some use an accumulation of discharge and charge energy to work out the cycles on its cells. So whether you are sipping or really discharging and then only partially charging, that accumulates and counts.

So it is a rather grey area. And depends on the manufacturers.

But @pwfarnell is correct the standard on the Victron BMV is under a certain percentage then triggers a count.

5 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

From the manual

23427-1630642119482.png

1 Like 1 ·
Gilles Tremblay avatar image Gilles Tremblay Alexandra ♦ commented ·

It explains why I have 0 cycle count. Below 65% I didn’t think it was that low.

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ Gilles Tremblay commented ·

I think that 65/90% range is fine. But should be applied to the range above the set Discharge Floor, instead of the full battery rating.

That would make far more sense to me, allowing for different battery chemistry, and even give some adjustability for those who cycle daily, but not deeply.

I have some 3.5 years on my Smartshunt, and still zero cycles registered on an offgrid daily cycler. Using 50% Discharge Floor (fla batts), the 65/90 would have registered most days and given up something potentially useful.

0 Likes 0 ·
Gilles Tremblay avatar image Gilles Tremblay commented ·
I’m an old school guy still having Lead acid battery bank. In my setup they charge to 100% almost every day and frequently complete the charging process to float.

Based on @pwfarnell comment and yours, I think the Shunt count a cycle for a lead acid battery when it fully charged (100%) after a DOD of 20% or more. That would explain why I still have no cycle count since 15 months of operation.

Thanks for your answer, very helpful

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ Gilles Tremblay commented ·
Your DOD is not enough to register a cycle.
0 Likes 0 ·