question

usernamepasswordbs avatar image
usernamepasswordbs asked

RS450 high voltage relay programming for using excess PV

hi,

Set up: RS450, Multiplus II, Pylontech batteries.

I would like to turn a hot water heater on when there is excess PV.

When the batteries go into absorbtion mode the RS450 throttles PV power and I sometimes don't notice it and wonder why on a sunny day I am not producing much.

If the trigger is based on SoC then I could start heating water at say, 90% SoC or 95% but I don't really know when the RS throttles down and I want to let the batteries do the absorbtion anyway for the benefit of their health.

So, my idea is to use the "panel high voltage" relay program in the RS450 to switch the water heater as a high panel voltage would indicate MPPT "throttling" (please correct me if I am wrong) therefore definitely meaning excess PV is not able to be used.

Hot Water Diversion
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
jbakuwel avatar image
jbakuwel answered Ā·

Hi @usernamepasswordbs ,

What you need is to turn the HWC on when your SoC goes above a certain level and turn it off when you SoC goes below a certain level. These levels depend on your needs. And of course this is not taking into account any other loads there may be on the system.

If you have a device running VenusOS, you can easily do that with a suitable wireless relay (for example with a Shelly (https://www.shelly.cloud/en-us). It might need some custom programming if you'd be up for that.

I haven't used the assistants in the Multi, but I would not be suprised if it possible to program a relay in the Multi based on SoC. I also don't know what the rating of the relay in the Multi is - so you'd need to check that before you start driving a 2KW or so HWC element: maybe you need to use the relay in the Multi to drive a relay that switches the HWC on & off.

Jan

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

usernamepasswordbs answered Ā·

The power electrical side of things is not too much of a problem, it's how to make it as automated and efficient to my needs as possible by using what's already available in the Victron blue boxes. It was just that I wanted to use something other than SoC so the batts can live as long as possible. I can envisage a situation where the batts never achieve 100% charge as the hot water would always stop that from happening in normal use, so, is there a 'thing' that can activate a relay, either in the MPPT RS or the Multiplus, that triggers whenever the MPPT is reducing solar output?

2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered Ā·

@usernamepasswordbs Do you know you can use the relay to turn on a load when the mppt has reached "float or storage" state?

Look at the demo feature in Victron Connect.

2 |3000

Thanks for that info. i'm not at home at the moment and I can't get Victron Connect to work but can you give me a couple of pointers to finding that setting? It would be much appreciated.

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ā™¦ commented Ā·
@usernamepasswordbs

You can play in the demo mode on your phone and explore options.

0 Likes 0 Ā·

Thanks, got it.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic