question

groningen avatar image
groningen asked

Blue Solar MPPT programming options (dongle vs GX vs ....)

Dear All

I am still new to the Victron equipment, so apologies if my questions were asked previously, but I did try to look at old posts for possible answers.

My Victron vendor sold me a 150/45 blue solar mppt, but I only "discovered" after the installation that I should have taken the SmartSolar unit as I need fine tuning for the (Lifepo) battery pack.

My question (s) :

1. Can I adjust the MPPT through the GXCerbo (VE-Direct connection), or is programming only possible with the Dongle? (not sure if new software is available via VRM/Cerbo that allows this, and if so, direction how to do this would be highly appreciated).
  2. Also, if I have multiple Bluesolar MPPT's, will they change automatically if I activate DVCC or should they be individually programmed though the dongle (out the box) before accepting DVCC? (or is DVCC only possible via dongle)
  3. I prefer communication via VE-DIRECT, but would you say that the dongle is necessary all the time or is it only applicable when doing programming?
  4. Should I just return the MPPT and get a new SmartSolar to eliminate problems down the line.
  5. Or am I missing some setup steps i.e. create a network with Victron App and all (non Bluetooth) MPPTS can be adjusted? (please share any extra steps if you think it will benefit the equipment (i.e. MP2, MPPT, Shunt, cerbo, etc)

I think I would most probably fine-tune initially, but after I have found the "ideal setting", I wish to set and forget and let the MPPT do the work.

Thanks in advance

MPPT ControllersBluetoothVE.Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Groningen

If you already have a GX, then bluetooth and additional dongles aren't necessary at all. VictronConnect (say on a pc) can access all VE.Direct kit, but it does need VRM connected/up too.

https://www.victronenergy.com/support-and-downloads/software

If your dealer sold you a bluesolar along with the GX, then he was just saving you money.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

groningen avatar image groningen commented ·

@JohnC ,

Thank you very much for the prompt reply. Ok, that would make sense if he sold me the Non-Bluetooth option with the Cerbo.

I might have a followup question about programming through VictronConnect as I am not 100% sure how to set the Bulk, float etc etc on it.

I checked under Advanced, Device list, settings, Remote console, etc, but I am not sure where or how to set the parameters.

Could you point me to the correct sub-folder?

Kind regards

0 Likes 0 ·
groningen avatar image
groningen answered ·

@JohnC

I logged in via PC and I connected to Cerbo. I can now change parameters.

Thanks for the idea via the PC, will have to check my Android, might need update.

Kind regards

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

@Groningen

Good work, you ok now? Dont confuse bluetooth with ethernet/wifi though, they don't work quite the same. Not always compatible either, so best to choose the one that suits you best and use that. For you that may be wifi, it's more suited to higher end systems.

0 Likes 0 ·
groningen avatar image
groningen answered ·

@JohnC

Yes, I was able to set all parameters. It might be my android, but I tried using the same "steps" as the PC i.e. VictronConnect (VRM portal) - BlueSolar - Gear icon at top right - settings (battery), but it does not work the same way. I see the VRM GX, but then it takes me to the remote console.

Slightly off topic, indeed maybe Wifi (via PC) is better in the end (unless my Android is to old) but it is still a new to me (Victron). I will later try to configure the AC2 outputs (will ask for help in this forum) and maybe play with the GXCerbo relays to fine-tune home energy consumption.

Also one item that I am looking into (near future), is to do some home assistant / grafana/ dashboard software communication. Still thinking about it and how I wish to configure the data (or maybe triggers via relay), but this is a learning curve for me and most probably take me ages to complete.

2 |3000

groningen avatar image
groningen answered ·

@JohnC

I finally figured out what I am doing wrong when I go via the android software.

Open VictronConnect App, it gives you the option LOCAL or VRM at the top. You can then select VRM and go to devices (then the gear icon, etc.) and all is programmable.

2 |3000

Related Resources