question

Laurens D avatar image
Laurens D asked

Whoopsy! bricked my Multiplus II GX?

Whoops! I followed a guide at: https://github.com/victronenergy/node-red-contrib-victron

Because I want to have access to the Victron from my HomeAssistant, however when adding:

<listen>tcp:host=0.0.0.0,port=78</listen>
<auth>ANONYMOUS</auth>
<allow_anonymous/>
in the '/etc/dbus-1/system.conf' file of the GX (VenusOS)

It seems to have bricked my system and it does not work anymore, there is no wifi access anymore and it does not detect my lan cable when I put it in. So I cannot restore it.

I think I might have bricked it because it was using another port? or something else happened so that it cannot function like it should.

The display does not show anything other than 'Victron energy'

Does anyone know how I can restore access to the device? I cannot seem to find an SD card and I do not have access to the remote console anymore (no wifi/lan).

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
alexander-uhde avatar image
alexander-uhde answered ·

Hi Laurens,

I had a quite similar problem a while ago by messing up the dbus conf.

I could revert those changes by direct serial access, this should work even when TCP configuration is messed up.

There was no real need to "reset" or reinstall the unit.

For me it was possible to reach the GX directly via serial cable (not by MK-3 but a standard USB-to-serial-converter (in my case a simple CH340G based one for ca. 5€. I used MK-3 later on but that was not neede to solve the initial problem).

I could even reach the needed ports on the GX/ nanopi without dismantling the unit or take it off the wall.

Please take a look at my old thread, especially mvaders linked photo and instructions to direct access via serial ports.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/77486/fixing-dead-multiplus-ii-gx-applying-nanopi-instal.html

Good luck!

Alex

11 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alexander-uhde avatar image alexander-uhde commented ·

Hi,

in the linked thread above there should be another linked one (this here):

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:root_access#connecting_on_the_serial_console

Scroll down to the part "Serial console on GX Card / Nanopi". You should find a picture there made by mvader showing the serial pins of the nanopi used in the Multiplus GX.

You need to connect three cables to these pins (TX, RX and GND)

These ones must be connected via a USB-to-serial adaptor, the one used in that tutorial is this one: https://www.adafruit.com/product/954

As I wrote before, I used another one (CH340 based adaptor). Most adaptors with 3.3V level logic should work on the nanopi/ GX card).

But don't get me wrong, this is not the same protocol or port used in VE.direct.

This is a "standard" serial link also used in configuring switches, ESP devices etc.

I am afraid if you never worked with something like that (arduiono, DIY smarthome etc.)

Take a short look at this one, to get an imagination (not really linked to your problem, just showing how to establish a direct serial connection to a device like nanopi used in the GX).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lufwzmcZHzo

Iirc, in my case it was not needed to enable a serial console before.

The "wrong" configuration of the dbus parameters pretty likely messe up your TCP/IP configuration.

With the adaptor it is a "direct" link without the need of IP configuration, ports etc.

You just set uo the USB-to-Serial adapter (if using Windows you most likely need drivers and can then select the proper COM-port for connecting, if using LINUX those drivers are mostly included already).

In my case (Win 10 at that time) I used "Putty" as a program to connect to the GX directly.
With this, I could use "nano" text editor (if not mistaken), delete the wrong dbus configuration and reboot the device.

After that, everything went back to normal in my case.

1 Like 1 ·
Laurens D avatar image Laurens D alexander-uhde commented ·

Ah! it says 'All GX Devices have a dedicated serial console, except for the CCGX. Therefor its documented on a separate page:'

So I thought it was accessable from the outside with ve.direct; ouch this complicate things because I think it's not easy to get to the nanopie, considering it could be mounted upside down inside the multiplus ii GX.

1 Like 1 ·
alexander-uhde avatar image alexander-uhde Laurens D commented ·

It is somewhat "managable" to get those pins without dismantling the device, but it was truly a hell of trying it.

There is nearly no space for "normal" fingers, so I worked with a clamp in the end. Also, you have normally no direct sight on where you are fondling.

From the perspective now I was incredibly lucky to get the cables attached.

Took me more than 1 hour, I guess...

1678308935774.jpeg1678308958557.jpeg

1 Like 1 ·
1678308935774.jpeg (604.2 KiB)

Thanks! In my case I had to get it out considering it was on the right side in the back, I did connect it but I hear only a ping* sound when trying to connect with putty; ah, when doing it from the first page it will only show an empty console ;-(

COM3, 115200 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, flow control none

What kind of settings did you use, I also changed that at port settings in device manager? In the meantime still messing around.

Edit: I SAW A CONSOLE, got disconnected but that's a good sign!1678356487713.png

Even though, I cannot seem to get to that point anymore haha

0 Likes 0 ·
1678356487713.png (52.2 KiB)

What DO I HAVE HERE?!? 1678361152984.png

And what do I HAVE HERE?

1678361189351.png

Thanks a LOT! you're my hero :-D

Edit: it seems like it was indeed possible to do this without removing the GX device, I thought those pins was on the other side; haha perhaps for next time haha

0 Likes 0 ·
1678361152984.png (6.8 KiB)
Hey, that's great! I am glad you got it working again!

Btw, are you aware that you can use the "large" image type of the GX firmware. This has already included node-red. No more need to mess around with dbus configuration then.

Node-red is running directly on the nanopi, for me this works without performance issues. I will post some pics of my dashboards below.

I am still running on version 2.91 (large), but I am planning to update as soon as v3.00 is released.

1 Like 1 ·
Thank! Yeah! I know but I want to keep everything in one place in Home Assistant, thought that's not really needed to be honest; but nice to have :-)

It's rather stupid of me... Because you can use port '502' that is by default already open, so I tried to do this for nothing, haha.

You might want to wait out a bit with major updates; considering there might be some breaking changes / bugs. It's tested at that time but so many scenario's

1 Like 1 ·
Hi Laurens,

had no time to answer the last days.

I´m glad your system is working again.

I see your point in using HA (I am using iobroker for most of my stuff).

Ca. 14 month ago I was separating Victron from iobroker and now I am using the "Large" image incl. node-red for this.

Have a nice weekend!

Regards, Alex

1 Like 1 ·
That's a nice setup you got there! I do not have access to solar, unfortunately! At the moment decided to work with node red in the large setup also; works great so far! Added tibber support for node-red so I can build stuff based on my power usage/requirements.
0 Likes 0 ·
Laurens D avatar image Laurens D commented ·

Thank you that is awesome! I cannot seem to find any pictures over there (it got deleted?)

Is the port we need to use the VE.Direct port on the GX device (with a usb to TTL connected to a computer)? After that which software can we use to create a terminal directly to the GX device?

Cannot seem to find any info regarding that :-)

Edit: I was reading this part: You need to enable the Serial Console on VE.Direct Port 1 option on the CCGX menu.

Is this true for our case also?

0 Likes 0 ·
ukxan avatar image
ukxan answered ·
1 comment
2 |3000

Nope, I do not have a mk2/3 to usb unfortunately :-(

I used remote VE but the issues lies not with the MP itself but the GX.

0 Likes 0 ·
gazza avatar image
gazza answered ·

Have you tried connecting via VE Configure? You may have to re-flash the firmware but of course you will lose all your current settings! I would try VE Configure first and see what gives...
Then maybe reset to default if you can, have a read through this https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/37610/multiplus-compact-242000-factory-reset.html

1 comment
2 |3000

I do not mind losing all my settings, it's a few minutes to correct those; but the issues lies with the GX part of the system.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·
@Laurens D

And a reboot does not help? Even a dirty one where you just disconnect the power, wait and reconnect it.

At this point order or purchase an sd card there us no other way to reset and start again.

5 comments
2 |3000

This is awesome, thanks will take a look at that link.

Tried with the device itself and wait a few minutes, tried by putting off the power grid and battery at the same time; no dice!

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Laurens D commented ·

@Laurens D

Before I forget sorry i linked the cerbo gx manual. Sorry. And when coming back to edit, you were already back ;)
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Laurens D

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/MultiPlus-II_GX/en/installation.html#UUID-ffe9e5c4-82ca-0f20-cd5e-a8c3ac7eaf8d

apparently can be done with a usb as well. I have not tried. you may have to force it to update with a power disconnect and reboot with sd/usb plugged in

1 Like 1 ·
Laurens D avatar image Laurens D Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Tried the Cerbo, but did not seem to work; haha.

Trying to do the second one, with the default file names; it's sad I do not have access to the remote console; haha.

I also see a reset button, I wonder what that'll do.

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
Laurens D avatar image Laurens D Laurens D commented ·

Unfortunately, does not seem to do anything.

Retried the cerbo thing, it said something about reloading, but that was a split second. Hope it'll have results.

Edit: Nope, also does the same without usb; unfortunately.

0 Likes 0 ·