question

Craig Myatt avatar image
Craig Myatt asked

Multiplus-II K1, K2 relays - are they "isolated relays" or "open collectors" connected to the IC?

On the new Multiplus-II, the K1, K2 'relays' are described in the Appendix as "open collectors", which appear to be connected to a microprocessor directly. The Ground then appears, looking at the image, to be the ground of the MultiplusII integrated circuit. While that is the appearance, the words in the manual indicate that those "relays" have the same function as the original Multigrid relays, which appear to be isolated, and able to be used as a relay. (On that model, there was an "K1 relay" & a "K2 relay) Does anyone actually know, for example if a voltage (like 48Vdc) is connected through the open collector when open, say via the K1, terminal, if that is going to adversely affect the Multiplus-II? Put simply, I wish to use at least one as a 48V external fan relay (can't use the main aux relay, used), so is that possible to do, for say a 100mA separate relay for a fan, @48Vdc coil?

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

This document might help:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/MultiPlus-II-to-MultiGrid-and-MultiPlus-comparison-EN.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1S-cSnHXo5SAwxjrdBD4_cnn69dbWneO0gvuMH1izSY8TZjTPkF9FufRQ

so you can use a relay, powered by battery voltage, drawing not more than 100mA (preferably less). the relay is used between B+ and the K1 or K2 output.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Craig Myatt avatar image Craig Myatt commented ·

Thanks for that, much appreciated. I do recall us having a discussion about this before...but I re-read that Multiplus to Multigird comparison, and saw the K1/K2 etc on the Multigrid, and presumed it may have been possible. So, now I can actually put a 48V fan, via an external relay, attached to that K1 terminal.

0 Likes 0 ·
Martin Měkota avatar image
Martin Měkota answered ·

The link upper does not work any more.

I also expected that K1 on Multiplus II is a "dry" contact as in the case of Multi. My fail, but unpleasant surprise. I tryied to used it to drive AUX 1!

2 |3000