question

frost avatar image
frost asked

How do I reset a MultiPlus to factory default settings?

Brand new Multi. Was changing some settings (as per my dealer's recommendation) with VEConfig. The laptop I was using died partway through transmitting the changes back to the Multi, and now the Multi gives error light only.

I'm charging my laptop offsite right now. When I get back (with a 100% charged laptop!), I will try VEConfig again, but in anticipation of difficulties, I'd like to find out if there is a way to get the Multi back to factory settings. Unfortunately I do not have a saved copy of my settings from VEConfig.

Thanks for any suggestions!

VEConfigure 3
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Maybe it will work to just connect VEconfig and make all settings again.

If that doesn't work you could try to install a new firmware with VEflash.
(the firmware you can get at the Victron Professional Portal https://professional.victronenergy.com )

And if that doesn't work the CPU maybe stuck in a loop and you need a new Multi or at least a new mainboard.
Get in touch with your dealer and ask him what he can do for you.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

It is extremely unlikely, and perhaps impossible for a Multi to be made unrecoverable from this state.

It may be necessary to use VEFlash, but that is a very low-level procedure and should be able to correct all software/programming issues that don't involve some level of physical damage.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Good to know. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @frost

there is a button in VeConfig: 'default' where you can set all settings to default.

updating firmware will also set everything back to default. this can also be done with Victron Connect when the existing firmware is not too old. (no need to subscribe to Victron Professional)

2 |3000

frost avatar image
frost answered ·

Thanks everyone for your quick responses at holiday time of year!

I'm pleased to report that I was able to connect and all my settings were still showing. I tried resetting to default as describedby Daniel but it didn't seem to change anything. I changed a few settings and sent them to multi and it started working again. Phew!

Thanks again all!

2 |3000

dcsonka avatar image
dcsonka answered ·

Hi,

It is an old thread, however, i just want to comment on it, that I made a remote firmware upgrade through VRM, but it didn't wipe out the old settings, some remained, like GridCode. ESS assistant was removed though.

Thanks

Dezso

2 |3000