question

conceptura avatar image
conceptura asked

Multiplus with Lithium Batteries

I am thinking of upgrading my batteries from Slow Discharge Lead Acid to LiFE PO4. I currently have a 12.3000.120 multiplus but the manual that came with it says very little about battery types. Is there any setting I need to change if I move to lithium or can I just connect up and be good to go?

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

9 Answers
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

I'm not familiar with the multiplus model you describe but you will need to change settings if you're changing chemistry.

LiFePO4 will have different charge parameters to Lead Acid.

You will likely need to change absorption/float voltages and disable any equalisation settings you have. Depending on the LiFePO4 size you get you'll have different voltages (if you're buying a prebuilt LiFePO4 it'll likely come with datasheet that tells you these voltages)

Similarly if you're using a smart shunt you'll need to adjust efficiencies and peukert exponent

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@conceptura

You will need to set the lithium profile and adjust to follow the recommended voltages, for the battery manufacturer you have purchased from.

0 Likes 0 ·
conceptura avatar image
conceptura answered ·

Thanks for these answers. It's clear to me that the MPPT needs to be told that it's charging lithium batteries. That's a no-brainer for me. However what's still not clear is whether the multiplus inverter settings need to be changed? The manual for the inverter leans heavily to charger operation which is a function that I don't use. Can someone advise where to find the instructions, if they exist, which lay out which parameters (dip swiches) to change on the inverter to accommodate lithium batteries? Thanks.

2 comments
2 |3000

matt1309 avatar image matt1309 commented ·
I'm not familiar with Mltiplus, For multiplus ii the settings you're looking for would be updated via veConfig (not sure if that's helpful).

If you've disabled charging in mutlplus then you might be ok to just update MPPT. However if you're using ESS the MPPT gets it's settings from Multiplus i believe (assuming MPPT settings are not lower than what's set in Multiplus).

What model multilpus do you have? I'll have a look if Veconfig if the right program for that model or if there's another route.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
You can download the manual in pdf form. Make sure you get it from Victronenergy.com, the other download sites may be out of date or charge.

Easiest way, assuming it's a current model is to find the product page for your multi. There will be a downloads link/section, these usually default to datasheets, so switch that to manuals. There's often a web manual be as well.

0 Likes 0 ·
conceptura avatar image
conceptura answered ·

Hi It's a Multiplus 12.2000.12.16. It has a switch on the front which sets it to charger mode or inverter mode. I always use inverter mode. I notice in the manual specs that the input voltage range is up to 17V which is within the range limit of the lithium battery I am considering.

2 |3000

matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

I've found this manual. Is this the correct version.

MultiPlus 2kVA 230V (victronenergy.com)

This explains in configuration section how to change voltages used my multiplus in the configuration section.

There's some options via dip switches but they are quite limited however it does mention lithium in the manual. It depends what voltages you need for your new batteries i suppose. If not i think you need to use veBus configurator.

You may not need it if you're only ever inverting and not charging but might be worth fixing the settings now incase you ever do choose to charge with multiplus.

And also just incase the settings are copied over from multiplus to MPPT automatically (as they are if you use ESS on multiplus II, I'm unsure if that's also the case with your setup).

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@conceptura

Dip settings are the worst way to program an inverter if you are not familiar with what to do.

Is it a new unit?

You will need to know your inverter serial number, chip number. then you can look up and find out what needs to be done next. there are several ways to find that out.

usually a firmware update will enable more options. if it is a newer unit you can use an mk3 and victron connect and avoid VE flash in the link above.

0 Likes 0 ·
conceptura avatar image
conceptura answered ·

Thanks to you specifically all to all for taking the time to reply. It's awesome to be able to share info and learn from this forum. Unfortunately there seem to be many models out there which lends potential confusion as answer, as in the is case, refer to a product different to the one I have? My product says 'suitable for lead acid or lithium batteries" on the case but I just needed to know if there was a special setting to change. I opted not to add any bells and whistles like bluetooth dongles etc to keep things simple.

Despite everyone's valiant efforts I am still not sure about whether I can convert to lithium without any extra steps. I think I'll stick to my trusty lead-acid batteries.

Thanks again and wishing you all a sun-filled future!

2 |3000

matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

No worries,

I believe the special settings you refer to are on page 13 of that manual. It does have dip switch options in the manual.

If you're unsure if the manual is for your model please refer to your manual that came with the inverter (or confirm via model number that the manual online is correct). It will be in there.

2 |3000

conceptura avatar image
conceptura answered ·

Thanks for that but my unit is not the same model. Also the parameters you refer to, unless I am mistaken, are for the charging function which I am not using. I only using my Multiplus for inverting DC to AC and never for charging as this system run my house and not my boat (I assume that the charging function is typically for when one is moored in a port).

2 |3000

matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

No worries,

you may not need to change the settings at all. Personally I would just in case.

The main use I've seen charging used in a house before is if you ever use time shifting (where charge battery at night on a cheaper rate from grid and use that power in the day).

Ideal for winter when solar isn't enough.

2 |3000

conceptura avatar image
conceptura answered ·

OK thanks a lot. Yes time shifting is a completely different albeit interesting subject worth looking at. Might be worth opening another thread but just for the record my day rate is 50% higher than my night rate but with inefficiencies on the way in to charge the batteries and then on the way out to reconvert to AC I figured it wasn't worth the hassle to time shift.

2 |3000

Related Resources