question

eugeniotf avatar image
eugeniotf asked

Temperature sensor with two battery and smart shunt

Good afternoon Please tell me how to connect a temperature sensor to this circuit?

shunt.png

SmartShuntTemperature Sensor
shunt.png (662.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

You can not have a temperature sensor and monitor the second battery, you either have the second battery OR the temperature sensor as they both use the aux port. See below.

If you have 2 batteries in series then attach the temperature sensor to the positive of the battery supplying the loads and the lower battery voltage will not be measured.

battery-monitor-29564.png

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

eugeniotf avatar image
eugeniotf answered ·

Thanks for the answer! What a pity.
But I can solder so that the port accepts one cable, this is no problem. I need the correct functionality.

2 comments
2 |3000

pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell commented ·
You need to choose what is more important, monitoring the second voltage OR the temperature. Please note, if you buy a temperature sensor you need to buy the one specially for the BMV or SmartShunt battery monitors as Victron sell different types for different equipment.

You can not solder a temperature sensor and voltage sensor together for the one port.

0 Likes 0 ·
eugeniotf avatar image eugeniotf pwfarnell commented ·

Yes, I already have such a sensor for the BMV or SmartShunt battery monitors

0 Likes 0 ·
eugeniotf avatar image
eugeniotf answered ·

Please tell me, as shown in the picture, can I connect?shunt-3.png

shunt-3.png (674.5 KiB)
2 |3000

pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

No you can not do this. This will measure the two voltages of the two batteries. The link between the temperature sensor and the negative will either blow the temperature sensor or it will provide short between the positive and negative and will have a constant current flowing through it if the temperature sensor does not blow.

The temperature sensor works by supplying a small current to it and the voltage drop over the sensor varies with the temperature and is typically in the range of 1 to 2 Volts with a max rated supply of 5V. When the shunt measures the temperature it is measuring the battery voltage with the one wire and the other wire is the battery voltage less voltage from the temperature sensor so for the temperature sensor probe to measure both temperature and voltage it needs both connections. The shunt only has 2 voltage measurements to split between your desire for 3 voltage measurements. You can not do this.

1 comment
2 |3000

eugeniotf avatar image eugeniotf commented ·

Thank you very much!

0 Likes 0 ·