question

eamonn-washington avatar image
eamonn-washington asked

How many temperature sensors are required for a new setup with Quattro,Cerbo GX & SmartShunt?

My first post! I have a monohull sailboat, living off grid for about 6 months a year, 24V setup.

The smart shunt is nearest to the battery bank, the Cerbo GX about 3m away and the quattro 6m away. I imagine that temperature data is exchanged over the VE.direct cable to the Cerbo GX, and I suppose the Cerbo GX is capable of transmitting the temperature data to the Quattro. So is just one temperature sensor necessary and where should it be? Closest to the battery bank, ie shunt?

The main reason is I want the quattro to know the battery temperature so it can reduce the charge current if necessary. At the moment I have AGM batteries but when they die I would like to replace them with lithium (LiFePO4) from China.

My solar charger is not from VE and has its own temperature sensor, as has the external alternator charger.

Thanks

Eamonn

Temperature Sensor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

You only need 1 temperature sensor, on my boat mine is connected to the Cerbo GX but you could use the shunt or inverter. Note that the sensor is different for different devices, check the documentation before you order. When connected you need to activate DVCC on the Cerbo GX and turn on STS to share them temperature and choose which temperature to use. See the online Cerbo GX manual for info.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Victron temperature sensor disambiguation table - which product supports which sensor