question

clusty avatar image
clusty asked

Biogas Generator Inverter Combination - Should it be AC or DC - Is a battery required

Hi Team,

So we have a an opportunity to build a number of DER or distributed generation sites running biogas + future solar; these are grid tied to the local power network. One of the connection challenges I have found is the cost of protection relays and generation control for a conventional AC mains parallel - mechanically governed generator; also on a technical level the variability of the gas production can be an issue.

Now the scale of the system would determine which design might be preferred based on ROI capex etc, and buffering the gas production with undersizing of the engine can generally solve the gas production challenge, but based on a) the power point tracking and/or b) the regulated protections that naturally come with inverters such as volt-var response / anti-islanding, overcurrent/earthfault etc, I consider an inverter/generator combination might be a good solution and a more compact simpler system from an installation-connection perspective,

So I have some questions:

• Is there an off the shelf option for a grid tied inverter with a coupled generator running constantly in parallel to the mains?
  • Is this solution an AC or DC coupled generator governed by or via the inverter?
  • Does there need to be batteries i.e. the biogas generator - charging batteries - batteries discharging via an inverter to the grid?

Like to hear others thoughts as well,

Happy to provide more information if required,

Thanks

Generatorgrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Martijn Coster (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Martijn Coster (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Clusty,

This is a technical installation question.
I would advise you to contact a Victron dealer to help you with this.
if you do not know who your dealer is, please visit: https://professional.victronenergy.com/support/

best regards
Martijn Coster - Victron Energy

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MultiPlus Generator FAQ

GX - Generator auto start/stop

Automatic Generator start/stop

Hybrid Generators

Virtual switch - Generator start/stop

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic