question

Jörg Becker avatar image
Jörg Becker asked

MPPT 150/60 wrong data in VRM

I recently changed my MPPT 150/35 to 150/60 because I increased my PV panels to 1650W (24V battery system).

Everything is working fine so far and I also get decent readings on the Remote Panel (e.g. 95V PV voltage).

But in the graphs in advanced view I now get a zigzag line for the PV voltage (and Power) where the voltage alternates every 5 minutes between 95V (correct value) and 40-65V (certainly not correct.

mppt150-60-zigzag.jpg Any ideas why this happens? I have never seen this before with the 150/35.

BR, Jörg.

VRM
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

How is your array configured?

Is the data wrong or different? Have you confirmed that the values displayed are NOT correct, i.e., you have placed a voltmeter on the PV terminals and NOT seen this swing?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jörg Becker avatar image
Jörg Becker answered ·

As I said, I can see the correct data in the Remote Panel which is updated every two seconds and which always shows the correct 95V PV voltage. And no, I did not check the voltage on the terminals.

But even if the real PV voltage would 'pump' like the data in the graph, what could be the reason for it?

Panels are three 550W Panels in series, have worked perfectly with the 150/35, just with the 35A current limit.

2 |3000

snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

What is your update interval? If not 1m, set to 1m in remote console.

Potential causes:

• Improper array config
  • MPPT sweeps
  • Variable conditions
  • Partial shading
  • Data error

2 |3000

Jörg Becker avatar image
Jörg Becker answered ·

No, sorry, I can see the correct data in the Remote Panel. Why should there be array misconfig, variable conditions or shading???

The data stored inside the MPPT does also show only the correct data!

screenshot-2023-02-27-19-05-06-359-comvictronenerg.jpg

1 comment
2 |3000

snoobler avatar image snoobler commented ·

Since you didn't answer the question concerning the array config, nor did you give any statement regarding the prevailing conditions, e.g., full sun, no shading, etc., I had to include those as possible causes.

With the added reference of the VictronConnect reported PV voltage and battery current, I would have to conclude it is some kind of reporting error between the MPPT and GX.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jörg Becker avatar image
Jörg Becker answered ·

It seems that the 150/60 makes an MPPT sweep exactly every 10 Minutes and reports exactly this single momentary value to the VRM. Doesn' t make sense to me!?!

Is it only this model that behaves like this?

screenshot-2023-02-28-10-14-02-298-comvictronenerg.jpg

I have never seen this before with the 150/35.

2 |3000

snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

My update interval is set for 1m. On some days I see the sweeps, on other days, I don't.

2 |3000

Jörg Becker avatar image
Jörg Becker answered ·

Thanks for the hint towards 1 min Update interval. That really seems to fix it!

I still do not understand why momentary values are sent and not averaged values.

1 comment
2 |3000

snoobler avatar image snoobler commented ·
Glad you got it sorted!
0 Likes 0 ·