question

tobyfw avatar image
tobyfw asked

CT on Quattro II

Dear community, I am currently connecting PV inverters to AC-IN.
I planned to install an ET112 meter to measure what is coming from / sent to the grid.
However, I was told that a CT (https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/current-transformer-for-multiplus-ii#pd-nav-image) would be quicker and cheaper.
It is supposed to replace the internal CT.
However, my Quattro II does not seem to have a CT input, neither via "microphone" jack, nor via another terminal.
I read that that there were problems with those connectors, so they were removed.
But how would I then install the external CT?

The bottom of my Quattro II looks like this sketch from the manual:

2023-02-25-19-12-13-quattro-ii.png

There seems to be an Assistant for "External Current Sensor", allowing connection at AUX1, AUX2 or T-Sense, but I am unsure if this will also work with the CT linked above.

Energy MeterAC PV Coupling
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @tobyfw , the Quattro-II doesn't support that AC Current Sensor. You can use an Energy Meter, like here: https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/energy-meter, instead.

The very first few models did, but quite quickly after launching we removed the option. Too complicated in combination with multiple inputs as well as some other issues.

Only the MultiPlus-II allows for the option AC Current Sensor to be installed.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tobyfw avatar image tobyfw commented ·

Thank you, that is what I suspected. But does the Quattro-II contain a CT for measuring internally? The reason why I am asking: People say the ET112 meter will be much slower than a CT. I am running a zero-export system. So maybe it would be better NOT to buy a grid meter and just use the internal CT? (Why should I spent a hundred bucks to get a worse system that I have now).

It seems, to my surprise, that the system works correctly with just the "PV meter". I added it to measure an additional PV inverter connected grid parallel at AC-IN2. The funny thing is that I need to set it to location AC-IN1 in the Cerbo - as the physical AC-IN1 is connected to my generator. If I toggle the location to AC-IN2 in Cerbo (as it would be correct), the generator (which is currently turned off) shows up as MINUS the generated AC PV Power. When I toggle to AC-IN1, the PV power is correctly subtracted from the grid input).

So I conclude that I better not get an additional (slow) grid meter, and will just use the internal CT.

0 Likes 0 ·