Safe integration of wind turbine

Hi all,

Grid parallel ESS

24V system

SmartShunt 500A

2x MPPT 100/30

Multiplus ii

Cerbo Gx

4x UltraMax LiFePo4 102Ah 24 "drop in" batteries with internal BMS in parallel (408 Ah)

500W wind turbine (not yet integrated)

I have a small wind turbine which I want to safely integrate into my existing ESS setup.

This is the charge controller which was supplied with it (Amazon link) https://amzn.eu/d/d7SEs6C

1. Can I safely use this type of wind controller to integrate with my existing setup? I would intend to place another SmartShunt in-between this and the existing Shunt and configure it as a DC energy meter, so as to see the energy listed separately on thr Cerbo.

1a. If I can't use this controller, what sort of controller can I use?

2. How do I prevent overcharging of the batteries? I don't want to create an unsafe situation.

3. Anything else I should be aware of?

Many thanks as always.

Hydro and Wind Power
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nesswill avatar image nesswill commented ·

Hi have a Merlec turbine (yet to be integrated) i find all reputable turbines come with there own Controller so i would be very carful picking one, and i know its a cliché but you pay for what you get.

I too would use option 1. (note yet to be done so it might change)

Dave.

0 Likes 0 ·
Tom Ranson avatar image Tom Ranson nesswill commented ·
@nesswill I'd be interested to know more about your plans. I'm thinking I need a more advanced controller that supports voltage cut off and dump load in order to avoid over charging the batteries?
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
nesswill avatar image
nesswill answered ·

Tom yes you're correct a good quality controller is a must.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Tom Ranson avatar image Tom Ranson commented ·
@nesswill do you have any recommendations please, or any other observations I need to consider?
0 Likes 0 ·
nesswill avatar image nesswill Tom Ranson commented ·

Hi Tom until i get this setup there is not much i can add, another member suggested this "Have you considered using a dedicated shunt for the DC loads?"

48583-1676533773554.png

I will try this once setup but i have only just got the turbine so got to build the tower/ put it up and wire everything so a bit of work to do yet.

I can only recommend what i have/are using but other members can point you to other ideas.

This thread is interesting if you have not see it yet.

I will keep you updated if you like.

Dave.

0 Likes 0 ·
Tom Ranson avatar image Tom Ranson nesswill commented ·
@nesswill many thanks Dave. Yes I was also planning to install a second shunt as a DC meter for the turbine circuit. I'd be interested to hear more about what wind controller you are going to use. Please keep me informed with your progress.
1 Like 1 ·
nesswill avatar image nesswill Tom Ranson commented ·

Hi Tom,

The controller (MPC1 ) comes with the turbine see under Battery Management i will putting it up this weekend so will let you know.

Please let me know what you go for too.

Cheers Dave.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic