question

andyjack avatar image
andyjack asked

Charging Habitation & Engine Starter Batteries off one solar controller

Hello,

I have two solar panels wired in series connected to a Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT Solar Charge Controller 100/30 that charge my habitation batteries in my motorhome.

If possible I would like to charge the motorhome engine starter battery off the same solar controller.

Am I right in saying if I fit a battery isolator such as the two battery version of an Argo Fet battery isolator this can be done. In the details of the unit it mentions alternator input or single output battery charger input. In my case the equivalent of the single output battery charger would be my solar controller

It’s this correct please. I look forward to your comments and thoughts. Thanks.

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Yes that should be fine, you can also use the Victron Cyrix battery units as well

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

andyjack avatar image
andyjack answered ·

Hello Paul,

Thanks for confirming my thoughts.

With regards the Cyrix battery unit you mention, do you mean the combiner units ? Cannot quite work out how one of them would work in the situation I have in mind as I believe the batteries need to be isolated from each other when charged off one solar controller but the Cyrix combiner relay joins the batteries together for charging. Perhaps I am missing some info on them.

Regards

Andy Jack

2 |3000