question

rustythorn avatar image
rustythorn asked

long term use of peak output current for with Quattros/mutlipluses

based on this table the quattro or multiplus 5k should output 4000*1.3 = 5200 watts for 30 minutes. if i have a point of use tankless hot water heater for my RV sink that is rated at 4800 watts, what would be the long term effects of using that heater for 5-10 minutes a day? since the heater has an adjustable temperature i would assume it will not use 4800 watts all the time but the question still stands, what would frequent short time power draws above the nominal watts at 25C but below the VA at 25C have on victron inverters?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerinverter current draw
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

there would be no issue here in my opinion

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

There's a good chance that it won't work, or if it does, cause alarms. Fan will kick in and the unit may downrate due to temperature. It's an old thread and the content may not be applicable to newer models.

My experience of inverter overload would be that depending on conditions, much shorter times can be sustained in practice.

Damage... Your guess. Regularly overloading, even for short periods, is asking for trouble. Might invalidate your warranty.

1 comment
2 |3000

rustythorn avatar image rustythorn commented ·

thanks for your help, if i also have a 3kVA multiplus+II [120VAC] i assume i can feed that into a step up transformer to 230/240 VAC and give the Quattro a little extra power?

0 Likes 0 ·
nesswill avatar image
nesswill answered ·

I would never rely on what something might produce in overloaded, always oversize so you have spare capacity and your equipment will last longer and in the long term cost you less.

1 comment
2 |3000

thanks for your help, if i also have a 3kVA multiplus+II [120VAC] i assume i can feed that into a step up transformer to 230/240 VAC and give the Quattro a little extra power?

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

I have never seen that off a 5k inverter. Unless it is -10C outside they will derate. Buy a larger inverter if you need that sort of power. Once you factor in limited airflow in mobile applications and ambient temps you will be lucky to get the 4kW for any sustained periods.

2 comments
2 |3000

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ rustythorn commented ·
Please don't repeat comments/questions.

Please do the job properly and put in the correct unit.

1 Like 1 ·