question

yaro avatar image
yaro asked

How to set the Solar as the top priority source in ESS setup

Hello everybody,

I'm using Quattro 48/10000/140-2x100 + Color Control GX as the base of setup:

- the main energy source is Grid.1, 220V/10kW;

- the second/spare energy source is Grid.2, 220V/5kW (which set as "Generator Set", because there's no option to choose second grid);

- batteries are represented by BMV-702 + 200Ah Pb AGM set;

- PV part includes BlueSolar Charger MPPT 150/60 + 3,5kW set of solar panels;

===========

Needed scenario: use Solar set energy (first to battery, then - to feed the household); if need more or no sun - use Grid.1; in case blackout - use Grid.2 ("GenSet").

If no electricity at both grid inputs = use battery pack.

===========

Earlier problem: from time to time my Quattro 48 tried to feed the outer grid & been overloaded.

After the updating all the firmwares & use new ESSassistant - it seems to be solved.

but now got the:

===========

Current problem:

Solar set now use only for battery charge. So, instead of ~3kW of sun energy the system consumes just ~75W (to keep batteries charged). And only when both grids are disconnected/no energy - it starts to use sun as full load.

Please, advise.

Thanks in advance!

Y.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Do you have loads that are running and want the solar to power them?

OR

Do you wish to export the surplus solar?

Also please confirm you have read the ESS manual here - it is quite comprehensive and will save me asking you things that are already covered there:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:design-installation-manual

PS

I am a bit worried about a 200 Ah battery connected to a 10kVA Quattro?

That inverter can potentially draw 200A, which those batteries can never provide.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

yaro avatar image
yaro answered ·

Dear Guy,

Thanks a lot for answering!

1. Yes, I have loads (household with regular consuming hardware - TVs, microwave owen, fridge etc), and would like to power them by solar.

No export at all, it's not needed & quite complicated in my case.

2. Guilty, not finished yet, need to read it more carefully.

But got already the idea, that my CCGX v1.74 is outdated, so - will try today to update it to v2.xx

3. If I'm not wrong - we've set the possible range of batteries use (the maximum set capacity; minimum & maximum voltage; the maximum current etc). During the update and Assistance & BMV setup.

And, according to my observations during last year - the setup uses batteries in more or less normal way.

But anyway - will appreciate for any advice on this matter.

Thanks again!

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

yes; start with updating CCGX to v2.xx; and then see how it works. Until then, you are not using ESS.

1 Like 1 ·