question

simara avatar image
simara asked

Lithium batteries compatibility with with DC motors

I am considering moving to LiFePO to replace a 660Ah bank of deep cycle gel.

This is on a sailboat where I have dc motors in the bow and stern thrusters, electric winches, and windlass that run from the battery bank. I would like to avoid the complexity of keeping lead acid batteries for the motor loads and I have no worries about scaling the Lithiums to provide the occasional peak currents.

My question is one of the compatibility between the Lithiums and older dc motors.

My understanding is that when a dc motors spins-down after discounting power it momentarily act as a dynamo. The relatively high internal resistance of lead acid batteries limits the peak current returned to the batteries. However, with the low resistance of LiFePO this momentary current can be high enough to damage the windings or brush connections in the motors.

I know this from experience. When I replaced the wet cell batteries on the boat with gel (a per battery internal resistance drop from about 20mΩ to 5mΩ) I destroyed a €7k electric winch. I hadn’t seen the service bulletin about incompatibility with this battery technology and didn’t consider the effects of the very low resistance of having a bank of six batteries in parallel.

With no voltage regulation the motor/dynamo could momentarily put 15V across the batteries. If the operating motor had been drawing 400A, even healthy lead acid batteries could drop below 11V therefore before they “chemically” recover there could be a 4V over-voltage in to a mΩ and a resulting a 4kA transient.

Has anyone come across or solved this issue?

I am thinking that a correctly rated diode/resistor combination in the connection to each motor would limit the return current.

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

You are also not considering the surge on startup. BMS's in lithium batteries can really spoil someone's fun when faced with a sudden, large transient.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

simara avatar image simara commented ·
Thanks, I had sort of thought this one through and was resigned to having one extra battery just so the BMS played ball during start up. I think the Victron BMS allows 250A for a few 10s of ms.
0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@Simara "My understanding is that when a dc motors spins-down after discounting power it momentarily act as a dynamo. The relatively high internal resistance of lead acid batteries limits the peak current returned to the batteries. "

If you disconnect your motor from the batt, it is disconnected. The batt wont provide any braking force to the motor.

Li batts are probably better for a DC motor. Li voltage is more stable under load.

However DC motor duty cycle has to be observed, as Li batts can provide longer run times. And DC motor cooling has to be optimal. Clean out the spiders and cockroaches from your motors.

Also note what @nickdb has mentioned.

1 comment
2 |3000

simara avatar image simara commented ·
Many thanks for drawing my attention to the obvious!!

Of course conventional motors with brushes are completely disconnected from the batteries when switched off.

I have revisited the motor manufacturers recommendations and now realise that it is only my brushless motors with permanent magnets that suffer from this over-current issue on spin-down. This is because there is no relay disconnecting the motor windings from the batteries when the control button is released.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources