question

bluelagoon avatar image
bluelagoon asked

Looking to install a 24V @ 1000A battery bank

Finally at the point in my refit where I need to upgrade my 12v system. My sailboat is 53 ft long and my power footprint is 12a / hr. My thought is BattleBorn Lilium batteries configured in 24v. Also the system would need to be able to support 120v and 240v inputs, since I will be world cruising.

I have space available for a separate Isolation Transformer, Charger, and Inverter.

Questiona:

1. Would it be better to purchase a separate charge and inverter? I was looking at the Skylla-TG 24/100-G changer. The documentation shows a Battery Capacity of 500-1000 Ah.

Or

Does a Charger / Inverter multiplus make more sense?

2. I plan on using an Isolation Transformer but its Rating is 120v @ 32a and 230v @ 16a which seems to be the limiting factor supplying the battery charger. Currently, I am on 1120V 50a shore power. Would a Galvanic Isolator make more sense since it can handle 64a?

Datasheets:

The Skylla datasheet is missing the AC Amp input information. I am assuming the information in the Blue Row i.e 24/100-G means the AC Amp max rating is 100 Amps. Please confirm?

The Multiplus datasheet does not have a Battery Capacity rating like the Skylla. I am assuming it will take any size but the time to full charge is longer based on the size of the battery bank. Please confirm?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,

Charles Shelby

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Galvanic isolator simply prevents minor currents through the shore ground/earth, so minimising corrosion from them.

Victron have an autotransformer for this situation. AFIK it has a built in galvanic isolator.

Probably makes little to no difference between a multiplus and separates. But if you also have a generator it may be worth thinking about a quattro.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.