question

Tapio Osala avatar image
Tapio Osala asked

Timer remotely?

Problem: we are going tohave an outdoor live camera on an Osprey nest.

It is on a lake island and we have to bring the system with solar panels in March on ice when the lake is frozen.

The solar does not bring enough power in March (Estern Finland) and we would need to remotely adjust a timer when the system with camera/router is powered (say 1h/day in the beginning).

Later in April solar would be enough to run systen 24/7. We have 4G connection to the router. Cerbo GX?

remote console
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ingo21 avatar image ingo21 commented ·
why don't you just add more solar panels ?
0 Likes 0 ·
Tapio Osala avatar image Tapio Osala ingo21 commented ·
Well, the system needs to be booted every now and then, even when there is no power issue.

0 Likes 0 ·
nesswill avatar image nesswill commented ·
I take it you will have Lead Acid battery's? (because of the cold)

You could use a mini-pc that's powered from the battery to turn the camera via a relay, as the solar will be charging the battery a small amount (i guess) it will keep the system charged, you can remote to the pc using your 4g via your router (on-site) i say use a mini-pc just because its cheaper than a Cerbo but both would do the job.

This above assumes you have battery that will work at cold temps and 4g connection on-site and a MPPT and running 12v, more info and i/we might be able to help more.

Other might have better suggestions / solutions just my ideas...

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

use the generator auto start and setup periodic run time and thus this controls the stae of the relay one and thus you can control when its open or closed etc, cerbo would have to be powered for this to work

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Tapio Osala avatar image
Tapio Osala answered ·

Well, we tried to use Global Link 520. That should have a relay that can be opened/shut down remotely... (Cerbo CX needs 230V).

We hoped that would be THE SOLUTION. Well, no we tried already two units > the relay does not close the power...

2 |3000