question

andy156 avatar image
andy156 asked

SolarEdge inverter connected to AC In. Does it require ET112?

I have a SolarEdge inverter currently on the AC OUT. However it isn't responding to frequency changes in APS mode so I am going to have to move it to AC IN to avoid damaging equipment. All the loads are on the AC OUT so the only things connected to AC IN would be the grid and the Solar Edge.

The ESS manual states that all inverters on the AC IN need to have an energy meter fitted as well. Is this required in the case of the SolarEdge as it is already communicating via modbus TCP?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerESSsolaredge
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
stroller avatar image
stroller answered ·

@Andy156,
What model SE do you have? Is it one of the new HDWave Inverters? I'm asuming that you have the latest Firmware version in your SE?

I have an older (2017) SE4000-16A on the AC-OUT from my Quattro and it responds to AC Frequancy shift if the batteries get fully charged and ramps down it's power output at first and then to minimum andf then shuts down if the Freq shift goes to the highest level. My SE doesn't have a MODBUS within it or as a sepertate box on the outside of it, so I use an ET112 to see the output power to the Quattro.

In the ESS Assistant on the Frequencies block, I have 51.00 Hz for the first setting to start to reduce output power, 52.00 Hz for the second setting to reduce power to a minimum and then 52.50 Hz to force the SE Inverter to disconnect completely if that is required.

BR's,
Chris.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

stroller avatar image
stroller answered ·

@Andy156

Andy, forget about my questions above. I've just seen a couple of your other posts where you have set and said everything about your setup. :-)

The Freq settings that I have used in the ESS are from some other guys using SE Inverters and they found that the 51.5 Hz didn't work for them and in various testing, they found that the SE would only stop at 52.5 Hz.

Cheers.

2 |3000

andy156 avatar image
andy156 answered ·

Hi Stroller. Thanks very much for that I shall try those to see how it goes. Strangely talking to the SE tech team they said I shouldn’t run higher than 51hz as it affects the warranty. However the spec sheet for the inverter states 50+- 5hz. They mentioned lots of issues with power wall which also uses 52. I guess you haven’t experienced any problems?

2 |3000

stroller avatar image
stroller answered ·

Hi Andy, No, I haven't experianced any problems so far. When I used the default SE settings for powerdown and stop, it didn't, It just kept going. Fortunately, the BMS of the the BSL Batteries that are connected to my Quattro also happend to start alarming about a high cell voltage at the same time which quickly got my attention and I manually shut the SE off to err on the safe-side.
Not that we have had a major amount of sun so far this year but since I changed the values in the ESS for the Freq shift as above, if my batteries are almost fully charged and we have a good few hours of solar, then the Victron just shifts the freq based on what it can see coming from the SE and it calms down and shuts off. However, I have that more as an emergency contigency as I don't want to stop solar generation as I am on the old FITS scheme, so every kW counts for pennies.

Chris.

2 |3000