question

aaronparsekian avatar image
aaronparsekian asked

EasySolar-II GX with BMS-Can and Lynx Smart BMS 500 with VE.Can

Hi Victron community,

Is there a way to interface the Lynx Smart BMS 500 with an EasySolar-II GX? Is this possible via the VE.Bus port on the EasySolar? I have two Victron 12.8V smart Lithium batteries in this system.

Thank you for your help,

Aaron

EasySolar All-in-Onelynx bmsshowcase
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @aaronparsekian

Provided your EasySolar-II GX has a fully featured VE.Can port - see footnote 23 in the Victron GX product range overview - then yes. If it is has a BMS-Can port, then unfortunately not.

Do not try to connect the Lynx Smart BMS to the EasySolar's VE.Bus port. VE.Bus is exclusively for VE.Bus devices.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

aaronparsekian answered ·

Hi Stefanie,

Thank you for your fast response! Bummer :( It looks like I received the older version of the EasySolar.

Is the VE.Bus BMS V2 unit my best option given that I only have VE.Bus and BMS-Can connections on my unit? If not, then what do you reccomend is the best product to interface my Victron lithium batteries with the EasySolar?

Thanks again,

Aaron

1 comment
2 |3000

I would say yes. Considering its functionality, especially communication with VE.Bus inverters/chargers and a GX device, it is the best option. But in the end it comes down to your system.

Did you see the BMS Overview, which explains the main differences between all available BMSes?

0 Likes 0 ·

screen-shot-2023-02-13-at-123923-pm.pngHi @Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) Apologies, I missed your response in the tiny 'Show' link.

Yes, I have looked through this BMS document. I am tempted to keep the Lynx Smart BMS, purchase a Cerbo GX, and then run the whole show that way. This probably sounds a little nutty since I'll have two GX devices, but this would allow me to keep the battery health information that the Lynx offers, which is of interest to me for this project.

Does the attached diagram make sense? Thanks again for all your help. I really appreciate it! -Aaron

3 comments
2 |3000

Hi @aaronparsekian

Diagram is looking good - except for the VE.Direct link between the BMS and the EasySolar and the VE.Bus terminator.

1. You must disable the GX card in the EasySolar as you can only have one GX device per system. And with that, it also loses its VE.Direct connectivity. That link wouldn't make much sense either, since Cerbo and EasySolar are already talking to each other via VE.Bus. So how to disable the GX card? I'm afraid I don't know, but it's most likely in the manual I would think. If not, feel free to ask again.
  2. The VE.Bus is not terminated.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

@aaronparsekian

I asked about disabling the GX in easy solar. Was told pull the covers and disconnect the wires to it. Haven't done it yet, not ready to install.

0 Likes 0 ·
aaronparsekian avatar image aaronparsekian kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

I took a look inside the EasySolar, and bypassing its internal GX board seems easy enough. I'll report back - I dont have my JST PH crimper here today to make the VE.Direct cable. screen-shot-2023-02-13-at-35115-pm.png

0 Likes 0 ·

I'm happy to say everything is working great now with the Cerbo GX! Here is what I did:

1) Removed the facepanel of the EasySolar.

2) Disconnected Power, VE.Direct, VE.Bus from the internal GX Board.

3) Connected both VE.Direct from the internal MPPT 250 and VE.Bus from the internal MultiPlus II Inverter to the Cerbo GX. I used one of the exterior VE.Bus jacks for the inverter.

4) Connected Cerbo GX power to the AUX connection on the Lynx BMS

Thanks again Stefanie for all your help!

screen-shot-2023-02-17-at-72302-pm.png

screen-shot-2023-02-17-at-71555-pm.png

screen-shot-2023-02-17-at-72010-pm.png

screen-shot-2023-02-17-at-71757-pm.png

screen-shot-2023-02-17-at-42633-pm.png

My project is coming along nicely with all this awesome Victron equipment :)

screen-shot-2023-02-17-at-72845-pm.png

screen-shot-2023-02-17-at-72834-pm.png

3 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Nice work. Thanks for the pics.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Thanks, good work, will help me a lot.
0 Likes 0 ·
Nice!
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

EasySolar 1600 product page

EasySolar-II GX 3000 & 5000 product page

LED indications, warnings, alarm and error codes