question

andy156 avatar image
andy156 asked

Warning for users relying Solaredge APS

I tested my SolarEdge SE5000 HDwave response to the frequency rise. The battery was 100% and it still continued putting out maximum power requiring manual intervention with myself. Both technical notes from Victron and SolarEdge were followed. The Solar Edge technical team confirmed my settings were correct when I contacted them. They updated all firmware and it still doesn't work. So if you have a SolarEdge connected on the AC out you might find it doesn't work as advertised when you really need it to. For safe testing you can follow my answer to this question https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/184775/can-i-control-the-frequency-output-of-the-quattro.html so you are not running close to 100% SOC.

I would strongly recommend testing the response in island mode with a less than full battery to avoid damaging lots of equipment. Right now I am considering playing safe and moving it back to the input side of the Quattro.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargersolaredge
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
pedaaa avatar image
pedaaa answered ·

i wonder if Victron really wanted to throttle your SE?

Was throttling really required already? (battery voltage near CVL)

or was only SOC shown with 100% (but battery voltage has not reached CVL so far)

8 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

andy156 avatar image andy156 commented ·

The Victron frequency went to the maximum throttle figure of 51.2 for some time in order to try and lower the charge current. Eventually he BMS was demanding zero charge. The voltage spiked and hit the maximum allowed for the Pylontech. The frequency in the SolarEdge display matched that of the Victron. The country was DG (diesel generator). So I am sure of what I am talking about. I have it all graphed.

I have artificially increased the frequency and the SolarEdge doesn't respond in any way whatsoever.

0 Likes 0 ·

Do you have a working Solaredge APS system? Did you have to contact SolarEdge to make any changes on their side?

0 Likes 0 ·
pedaaa avatar image pedaaa andy156 commented ·
no SE-support was needed. Somebody told me, this was only required for older PV-Inverter models or on older Firmware.

On the current 3-phase SetApp inverters, you can enable APS-Mode without the need for any SE-support

0 Likes 0 ·

Here I just forced the voltage to 51.0. I know it is different to the one in the Victron note. However the Solar Edge guys said it is only allowed to operate for the warranty to 51 in the uk which makes no sense as the grid control to 53.4 I've run with it for now. The frequency response is set from 50.2 -100% to 51.0 - 0% in the SolarEdgescreenshot-2023-02-08-at-133517.png

0 Likes 0 ·

we recently have installed Solaregde with Victron.

Switching to APS-Mode during Grid Failure works well, this we have tested already.

But we have not tested frequency shifting so far.

Have you set up frequency shift in SE Power Control APS-settings??

exactly like this?

and also in Multisplus ESS assistent?

We will test it maybe within the next days.

But i have to admit, i think the values for frequency shift are very tight!

I am a bit worried, if this really works flawlessly?!

50,2 to 51,2Hz is a very small window for regulation...

On Fronius, Frequency shift goes up to 53Hz, which lets way more room for smooth regulation

0 Likes 0 ·
andy156 avatar image andy156 pedaaa commented ·
I have indeed and tested the relay changing state from country grid to DG. The only reason I tested the response was that the Victron document states you need to call SolarEdge to enable it on the back end. Solar Edge came back saying it wasn't required and I'd set it up correctly. A healthy dose of scepticism saved my kit on this occasion. I tested at 100% first but that was a stupid thing to do. I've since discovered you can test at any battery voltage by setting the DVCC - charge voltage limit to a Volt less than what you are seeing currently. The Quattro will then drive the frequency up to try and stop production. It continues driving to the top set value as the solar edge doesn't respond.
0 Likes 0 ·

The SolarEdge spec states 50+-5hz. In conversation they have said my limit is 51 and outside expect problems with warranty??? This is a bit odd as the UK will regulate above 53Hz to control producers when the grid can't cope. They have had problems with Powerwalls which seem to operate at 52hz for regulation. The finesse isn't really required on my battery stack. I can take almost full power from the SolarEdge until the last minute or two it would seem. Then on/off would be fine. But it isn't even doing that. It's being escalated with SolarEdge technical department at the moment and I will update.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mine is the model with the LCD screen but it has the equivalent settings.
0 Likes 0 ·
pedaaa avatar image
pedaaa answered ·

what do you mean with "it has equivalent settings" ?

by default, no SE inverter has the required settings. I sure this is the same on your HD-Wave inverter.

by default, most SE models have this APS-Mode settings:

P0 = 50,2Hz - 100%

P1 = 51,2Hz - 100%

but you need to manually! change the P1 setting to:

P1 = 51,2Hz - 0%

can you confirm, that you have done this?!

I am not sure about this, reading throw your comments?!

4 comments
2 |3000

As in it doesn’t have an app like yours. It’s done scrolling through a menu on the machine itself. Yes I have done the settings as I have mentioned many times. Both the solaredge notes and victron notes have been followed to the letter. The firmware is correct etc etc Why won’t you believe me? I’m only putting this out so that people don’t damage their equipment.
0 Likes 0 ·

just want to make sure, we are talking about the same, and all potential errors are ruled out.

As i know of installations that work great with SE, and also Frequency shifting working well.

But those are 3phase Setapp installations with Multiplus II

So i am pretty confident, that my setup will also work well. But i can report on that in some days.

I have not came across, your HD-Wave + Quattro Setup.

Maybe there is something different on those?!

0 Likes 0 ·
Fair enough. You made me go and double check for the 8th time haha. It is still showing zero on the P1 value. I was wondering how many people actually test the frequency response? Neither document calls for it. The only testing mentioned is to make sure that the relay is changing the grid code. And then it seems to be assumed that it will work.

Have you actually seen the frequency response happening at the other installation or merely the relay switching the mode? I have so many panels now that the battery will fill up 4 hours on a sunny day now. 15kW going into them at max output. I need to know this is going to work as in the event of a power cut I am very likely to be with in the dangerous parameters of a full battery and high feed in to the grid.

It is strange and disconcerting since it is a menu option on the SolarEdge and the firmware offers it. When I hear back from the SolarEdge technical team I will post the results here.

0 Likes 0 ·
yes, thanks, please keep us posted.

And i will also reply here once really field tested

0 Likes 0 ·