question

j2271 avatar image
j2271 asked

Android App: How to change default program/action for Share button?

I tapped Share in the History section, but wasn't sure which program to pick, as I didn't know what sort of file it would generate. I picked a notepad application, but I accidentally double-tapped, which set that to be the "always use" choice. Now the Victron app always tries to use the notepad app, and I can't change it. (The notepad app simply freezes when this happens; I guess it can't handle the file that Victron's generating)

I didn't see anything in the app's options to change the default program.
I've done Clear Cache + Clear Data for the Victron app, and also completely uninstalled and reinstalled it, but this program/file default association persisted.

vrm app phone widget
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
liassic avatar image
liassic answered ·

You need to clear the association in the Notepad app, not the Victron app.
The file type that the Victron app generates is now associated with the Notepad app. It's nothing to do with the Victron app. Find the icon for the Notepad app and press and hold it. Select "App Info" or maybe a timer icon. This may vary depending on the version of Android you have. Find "Open by Default" in the next page and select that. Then select Clear default preferences. This will clear all file types associated with the Notepad app. You will have to re-associate other file types back with the Notepad app again.

That's why uninstalling the Victron app didn't work. The association in in the Notepad app.

Good luck, Paul.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

j2271 avatar image
j2271 answered ·

That took care of it, thank you!

I'm too accustomed to a Windows environment and how it handles things like this.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic