question

mswoboda avatar image
mswoboda asked

Generator Automatic Start and Stop, which cables from the generator?

I have a simple question and I didn't find it here in the documentation.
If I want to use a generator with Victron, what must have the generator to start automatically? I mean obviously a starter and a battery. But most of the generators have a key to start. So do I have to disassemble the panel of the key and connect the cables to the relay of eg. an Quattro?
I read the documentation and I know there a are two different types of signal, but do I have to buy a generator which has a kind of signal input connector? Or is it enough if this generator has a key to start?
As far as I understood it right, I can use any generator (size, quality, AVR, settings in VenusOS are different topics) with a starter to start it automtically with a Quattro.

Sorry, if I missed the answer in other existing questions, I couldn't find it.
Thank you !

generator auto start
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered ·

Victron inverters that have generator control or cerbo gx with generator control utilize a single dry contact relay no or nc. The control logic simply switches the relay state. The easiest is to use a generator with an auto start control already built in with single wire on/off. You can purchase any number of aftermarket controllers that will work with most generators. I would suggest one that has safety integration for at least a temp sensor and oil pressure.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mswoboda avatar image
mswoboda answered ·

Thank you for your answer.
So if I buy a generator I could buy a "auto start control"(is this the name I have to look for) which is built in.
Or I buy also this controller.
Is this the right example?:
https://atkinsonelectronics.com/gscm-mini-o-generator-start-control-module-mini-onan-diesel/
Maybe you can provide a link for this device and a generator who has built in the controller.
Thank you!

1 comment
2 |3000

Thendo Alton Mbedzi avatar image Thendo Alton Mbedzi commented ·
My advice is look for one in you area(Make sure it comes with an ATS)-Generators are different and wiring you'll have to get from your manual.
0 Likes 0 ·