question

uniopp avatar image
uniopp asked

Catamaran Victron Design Feedback

I have put together my first draft layout of Victron devices and would appreciate some feedback on whether it looks correct. I have only included the positive connections and the device models (amps, etc.) have not been decided on yet.

My main priority is to keep both the house and start battery banks charged without any chance of the house draining the starter batteries. I want it to be suitable for the current house AGM batteries and also for the future house Lithium LiFePO4 with just a battery swap out and reprogramming of existing devices.

Any ideas or feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

63ef1332-3af9-4a86-9fc3-ffefd34ed851.png

system designdesign
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
muammer avatar image
muammer answered ·

Your system has connection errors. You can't use BMS unless it's lithium.

After Lynx shunt, you need to use Lynx Power In to connect batteries. For the shunt to measure correctly, the shunt must be between the Power in and the Distrubutor.

I'm wondering what MPPTs are for the data cables you're going to use for the Cerbo?

and Smart Battery Protect misused They are connected between the battery and the load.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

uniopp avatar image
uniopp answered ·

Thanks for your help.

I will try again and repost my amended design.

Thank you.

2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Uniopp

The Orions running directly off the alternators is a worry with stability/interaction issues. I'd run the alts via the starter batts to the Orions. Orions can be set to not charge below a set Input V, and/or only while the engines are running. And I'd use isolated Orions in case you find the need in future to keep your house/engine earths separated for elecrolysis reasons.

Flick the Battery Protects. Maybe one on your DC loads if they're serious loads.

I hate paralleled Pb house batts. I'd limit it to 2x parallel strings by using bigger batts or even changing to a 24/48V system. 12V loads then via an Orion Converter.

These big decisions are best made now, the bits can come anytime later.

2 |3000

uniopp avatar image
uniopp answered ·

Thank you muammer and JohnC for your feedback.

Based on your comments and a few of my own changes, I have come up with the following.

I would welcome your (and anyone else’s) feedback.

Thank you.

Simon

b0965334-1254-49d8-b0dc-6568e415f6be.jpeg

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

@Uniopp

I'm not so qualified on the Lynx kit, so won't comment there. Otherwise looks ok.

You show a 'Nav Station'. If that's a glass bridge setup (Raymarine, etc), Victron may be compatible instead of the Touch 70. Cool it is. https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Venus_GX/en/marine-mfd-integration-by-app.html

You could also trawl through the Example Schematics on the Victron website to see what other mariners might do.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic