question

sharpidea avatar image
sharpidea asked

Cerbo GX VE Can bus stops communicating with one of two 250/100 MPPT chargers

I have a new system with 2 multiplus, one 1000 amp smart shunt, Cerbo GX and 2 - 250/100 MPPTs connected on both the VE Direct bus and the VE CAN bus, both the MPPTs are initially seen on both buses (VE CAN and VE Direct) but after a day or two one of the MPPTs stops communicating on the VE CAN bus. I've replaced the one MPPT that stops communication and the new one worked for about 2 days and stopped communicating on the VE CAN bus, the VE CAN Bus is terminated correctly at both ends, all of the devices have the latest firmware.

I can always see both MPPTs on the VE Direct bus, If I disconnect the VE Direct bus the VE CAN bus still stops seeing one of the MPPTs after a few days.

I can get it all working by reverting the firmare in the Cerbo GX to the pervious version and then back to the current version (probably like doing a master reset) no other process will make both MPPTs communicate once one stops communicating on the VE CAN bus including disconnecting all the power to all devices. I've change out the RJ45 cables several times and made sure that all 8 wires have conductivity.

Anyone have any ideas?

FYI: I can maybe just use the VE Direct bus but when I install this system I'm not sure if the VE Direct 3.5 foot Cables will be long enough and this system is going to be in the middle of nowhere Idaho! and WEB connected via a Startlink network, It all needs to work before we move it on site via helicopter.

cerbo gxVE.Can
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

Check all VE.Can ports for bent pins, especially the second port from the "good" MPPT (assuming you daisy-chain from that one to the "bad" MPPT).

Which CAN-bus profile is set in the GX device?

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
muammer avatar image
muammer answered ·

Are u sure that you use the Ve.can port of cerbo and you are using terminator on devices?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources