question

jasontav avatar image
jasontav asked

Lithium Batteries Smart, BMS and ve.direct requirements

Hi,

This is a question about the Victron Lithium Batteries Smart, HERE

Looking at the architecture diagrams HERE, the required ve.bus BMS uses the ve.direct connection on the mppt to switch it on and off.

So where do I plug venus in?

MPPT ControllersLithium BatteryVenus OS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @JasonTav,

you can't combine GX Device with that setup, unfortunately. A GX Device does not control the MPPTs based on input read via VE.Bus. Why? Because an Inverter/charger might be switched off.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

ps, more information about how to use a GX Device, Smart Lithium Batteries & MPPTs is here:

https://community.victronenergy.com/articles/15035/victron-vw-van-electrics-install-schematic-drawing.html

0 Likes 0 ·
jasontav avatar image jasontav mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

nice, thanks

I see the "charger disconnect" from the BMS is connected to the BMV - why go via the BMV rather than direct from the BMS to the battery protect?

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ jasontav commented ·

Please watch the accompanying videos, there is some explanation in there.

You can't use just a BMV to protect a lithium battery, since a BMV doesn't measure at individual cell level.

The signal to disconnect chargers in case of over voltage or temperature needs to come from a BMS.

(ps. sorry to be short, for more complete & direct instructions, please contact a distributor).

0 Likes 0 ·
jasontav avatar image jasontav mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi,

yes I understand that, however I was querying this part of the schematic, where "charger disconnect" on the BMS is connected to the BMV:

0 Likes 0 ·
jasontav avatar image
jasontav answered ·

OK I read the manual.

Seems Venus communicates via ve.bus with the BMS and controls the mppt via its ve.direct connection, so the ve.direct non-inverting remote on/off cable from the BMS to the mppt isn't required.

If anyone can confirm my thinking here I'd be glad to hear

1 comment
2 |3000

jasontav avatar image jasontav commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)