question

pedaaa avatar image
pedaaa asked

ESS Feed-in limit with Fronius / Solaredge mixed setup?

I wonder how Victron feed-in limiting logic works, if Fronius and Solaredge PV-Inverters are mixed in an ESS system?

With Fronius alone, grid feed-in limiting works flawlessly.

But what will happen, if a Solaredge (or any other non-Victron supported PV-inverter with EM24 meter) will be added to the setup?

Victron cannot limit this 3rd party PV-inverter. Thats clear.

BUT is Victron capable of still respecting the feed in limit?

example:

10kW feed in limit.

9kW Solaredge power

15kW Fronius power

How will this work in real life, if the Solaredge deliveres full 9kW power?

A -> will the Fronius be limited down to max. 1kW, so that the feed-in limit still is respected?

B -> or will Victron only limit the Fronius to max. 10kW, and ignore the power produced by Solaredge?

Then 19kW will be fed into grid, even if a "10kW limit" is active.

Same question for DC-Coupled Smartsolar Chargers:

will those MPPT´s be regulated down to meet the 10kW limit, respecting the Fronius + Solaredge additional power? Or not?

feed-in limit
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pedaaa avatar image pedaaa commented ·

can someone from Victron maybe answer it, before i have to trail&error this myself?!

@Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) maybe?!

please see my example, and tell if Fronius will be throttled like A or like B ??

thank you!

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ pedaaa commented ·
Yes this should work, Fronius will be pulled back to try to adhere to the grid setpoint.
0 Likes 0 ·
pedaaa avatar image pedaaa Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
thank you, that is very usefull information.

I was afraid, that i need to think about an additional external controller to additionally throttle Fronius and MPPT RS, if feed-in limit is exceeded.

last question, just for me to be confident:

do you mean "should work, but i am not sure" or "it definitly works" ??

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
pedaaa avatar image
pedaaa answered ·

Does anyone know the answer?!

Would the Fronius PV-Inverters be throttled so, that the Feed-in limit can be met or not?!

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Pedaaa

If the fronius is data connected then it would be throttles to meet conditions set.

And the solar edge as well.

I think the unanswerable part is the two together on one GX (unless someone else has actually tried it) is the solar edge and the fronius together they both have different frequency needs for throttling from what I can see in the documentation.

So I am leaning toward saying there will be strange things happening if you do. And how would you program the ESS assistant?

Looks like if you use the fronius frequencies, the solar edge will throttle first. I do t really know. Never tried it.

0 Likes 0 ·
pedaaa avatar image
pedaaa answered ·

i am not talking about offgrid condition.

OFFgrid, its clear for me. Then Victron can control via frequency shift. But that is not the question.

Solaredge would be on AC-in, so that is not part of the question. OFFgrid i would only have Fronius connected.

ONgrid, Victron can control the power output of Fronius, but not of Solaredge or other 3rd party PV inverters.

Thats is OK for me.

The only question is, how Victron will control Feed-in limits if Fronius is combined with those 3rd party inverters?!

i mean, Victron knows the power produced of those inverters. For Solaredge Victron sees it directly via Modbus. For others, Victron can see it via EM24 meters.

So the only question is, if Victron will still meet feed-in limits, and will throttel the Fronius inverters even more to meet Feed in limits or not.

See my examples and possible answers A and B in initial Question.

Thats the only thing i need to know.

I am sure, this is not an unusual question and someone should be able to answer it?!

Or do i need to get in touch with Victron directly somehow?

2 |3000

baxter avatar image
baxter answered ·

It is A. The FeedIn Limit is measured at the EM, so the system will throttle the Fronius to keep it within limits. You can observe it as the PV Inverter status of the Fronius will be "throttled"

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic