question

pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell asked

Wakespeed WS500 and Cerbo GX without BMS, NMEA2000 data from Cerbo to WS500

I am about to install a Wakespeed WS500 alternator regulator and connect it to the Cerbo GX. I currently have a large AGM battery bank so there will be no BMS involved and I do not have an NMEA2000 network, so only the Cerbo and WS500 connected by the WS500 to Victron cross over cable with CAN terminators on both devices. I want to have the WS500 shunt on the alternator output and have the WS500 pick up the battery current and temperature via NMEA2000 from the BMV702 battery monitor via the Cerbo GX. This option is not covered by the Cerbo GX manual nor on the WS500 site.

On the WS500 in the $CCN I have set "ENABLE_ALT_CAN" to "NMEA RAT" (value 1) which the config guide states as the WS500 receives battery current and temperature via NMEA2000 from the battery monitor.

On the Cerbo GX (after reading the manual) I plan to set "NMEA2000-OUT" to on. Is this all I need to do to have the NMEA2000 data output transmitted by the VE Can port for the WS500 to accept and interpret.

cerbo gxwakespeedws500
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
mattyroo avatar image
mattyroo answered ·

@pwfarnell, I'm currently installing 2 on a catamaran, also with a shunt and Cerbo.

As I understand, they will only work with a shunt when the Wakespeed has FW version 2.5.1 installed. The units I have are both 2.5.0. I have not been able to update the FW through eitther the batch file, or the Android app - the Android app keeps saying that then latest FW, 2.5.0 is installed!

Have you had any luck installing FW 2.5.1?

8 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell commented ·

Yes, I got mine to 2.5.1, you may need to update the app first as a new version 1.6 of the app was released at the same time. Another way may be to download the firmware to your phone then update it. Firmware files are found on the following page, the link is under "Latest Firmware"

https://www.wakespeed.com/product/ws500-advanced-alternator-regulator/#wc-tab-title-support

0 Likes 0 ·
mattyroo avatar image mattyroo pwfarnell commented ·

@pwfarnell, I got both the WS500s working yesterday, using the Victron shunt as the battery source, value 18 under "ENABLE_ALT_CAN".

Need to have NMEA 200o out turned on for the Cerbo to receive the WS500 data.

I did find an issue that I am yet to resolve:

With the battery source being the Victron shunt and battery shunt set to off, the WS500 produces current for a short while then drops it off, then cycles through the same behaviour. See screenshot Screenshot 2024-02-06 054941.png

With the battery shunt set to on it does not do this, but of course is not correct, as the WS500 thinks the shunt that is installed at the alternator is the battery shunt.

Have you seen the same behaviour?

0 Likes 0 ·
pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell mattyroo commented ·

My WS500 is waiting to be Installed in the spring, I never got around to doing it last year. I am hoping you get it nailed to confirm that it works before I put mine in. It appears to work well when battery current is from a BMS, I am yet to have confirmation that without BMS that it picks up from the Cerbo.

Have you tried option 1 on ENABLE_ALT_CAN which should read the battery current from the Cerbo NMEA2000 output, need the Cerbo to have NMEA2000 output turned on.

I have heard pulsing mentioned for firmware 2.5.0 when the alternator could load the engine at tickover and pull back was not working as well as expected, but that was meant to have been solved with the new release.

The forum linked below also has some good support including some from Wakespeed occasionally.

https://ogm-energy.com/community/ogm-user-forum/wakespeed-ws500-user-forum

0 Likes 0 ·
@pwfarnell, Yes, got the firmware to 2.5.1.

I have installed a number with BMS' and yes they do work well with a BMS. This is the first one I have done with a Victron Shunt/Cerbo, which has only been supported in the latest FW release 2.5.1. It definetly picks up the info from the Cerbo with a shunt, just that I have this pulsing issue.

I have not been able to find an issue with my configuration, to resolve the pulsing issue. I do wonder if it is a software glitch...

Will try option 1 on the ENABLE_ALT_CAN next time I'm at the boat.

Will let you know how I get on.

0 Likes 0 ·
The only other thing I can think of is the setting "Disable fast ramp", is fast ramping allowed or not.
It certainly looks like the field is being turned off rapidly, which is odd, the trace does not show high voltage being developed.

The cycling I mentioned above as far as I understand was the controller gain was too high which caused field cycling and voltage cycling, which then overloaded the engine slowing down the rpm, which could then drop the field current by pull back factor, which unloaded the engine so it sped up. The new configuration guide advises against using PBF.

0 Likes 0 ·

@pwfarnell I found the issue... It was because I had the alternator capacity configured. This should not be configured as this feature is not yet supported... Will be supported in the next release apparently, when they support DVCC.

0 Likes 0 ·
Good news, I will have to get mine done now.
0 Likes 0 ·
pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell pwfarnell commented ·
Did you get the firmware to 2.5.1.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources