question

wayneman avatar image
wayneman asked

New battery not charging and causing problems.

I recently added a 2nd 14.5 kWh batter to my home solar set up. its connected to a victron multiplus 48/5000.

Every now and then, maybe once a week, i have strange issues relating to charging of the batteries.

For example - ive had a few instances where the old battery discharges completely and the system trips because of low voltage, but the new battery remains at 95 -100%. if you look at the colour controller, the battery state may show 50 or 60%, but that is effectively only the capacity of the new battery. if you reset the new battery, then the system recovers and everything is fine again for a few days. The other instance, the new battery will only charge to say 80 or 90% but the old battery to 100%. This will cause the battery state on the colour controller to not increase beyond 90 or 95%. it seems like the new batteyr is cauing the problems as the old one never had any issues before the new one arrived. Its as if the 2 batteries are not communicating with each other or the inverter. Reset the new battery and then both batteries charge up to 100% again.

Any idea why these issues are occurring ?

Lithium Battery
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Wayneman

what batteries are they? do they both have comms with the system? are they daisy chained in comms? how are they wired up to the system?

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
wayneman avatar image
wayneman answered ·

Im not too sure how they are connected, but there is a firmware difference between the 2 of them, which im going to update and see what happens.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources