question

joshestes avatar image
joshestes asked

Can't charge low battery

I've got a Multiplus 24/3000/70 and Tesla batteries which can be run down to 19v. When the DC input low shutdown is triggered at 19v, why can't the Multiplus charge the battery back up at this point when plugged into shore power? I have to wait until the DC input low restart value of 20.6 is reached, and that's the lowest you can set it to. So I have to wait until my solar charges it back up before I can turn anything on.

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

The multiplus isn't designed for Tesla batteries.

Usually by this low a voltage there's something wrong with the system, it's a safety feature to prevent more problems.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

joshestes avatar image joshestes commented ·
I know, I'm such a rebel. I don't expect there to be a way around this, I'm just going to have to plan for it.
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

If you search here there are some knowledgeable folks who have managed to integrate Tesla batteries with Victron systems, but it is completely unsupported, remarkably easy to do yourself some harm if you don’t know exactly what you are doing, and there is absolutely zero official help. Good luck, keep a few fire extinguishers on hand.

1 comment
2 |3000

Thank you all for your confidence. I've been running this system 24/7 for a few years now. I only ever have problems at low voltages when this happens.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@joshestes

From your other post. Low battery and overload is a dc ripple alarm. So bad for the inverter (and battery).

Are your batteries in the run/on state?

1 comment
2 |3000

I checked the Victron programming app and there's no ripple current or alarm. Just low battery. I was able to get it charged up with solar enough to clear the dc low input shutdown. It's now charging again. I just can't let it go so low and I'm setting the alarms higher up.
0 Likes 0 ·