question

zeron avatar image
zeron asked

Multiplus-II and grounding best practices

I'm using a Multiplus-II 5000 at home and want to make sure that the grounding setup is correct.

AC-in is connected to the grid (which only provides phase/neutral so I connected the PE line directly to the house's ground, as well as the chassis)

AC Out 1, until now, is my whole electrical network so it remained connected to the house's ground without any changes.

I want to add new equipment on AC Out 2 and I'm wondering how I should ground that new line. Should I connect it to the AC Out 2's PE line? Directly to the house's ground with AC-in/chassis/... ? Are all the grounds inside the multiplus connected together in which case it doesn't matter where I connect it?

Multiplus-IIGrounding
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
delf67 avatar image
delf67 answered ·

On the Multiplus 1 the AC in PE, AC Out PE and chassis are all bonded internally, so I'd assume AC Out 2 would be too on the Mp2. It would be unsafe to have it otherwise. Check for continuity with a multimeter to confirm.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

zeron avatar image zeron commented ·
Doing a continuity test is an easy and definitive answer indeed, thanks for the idea!
0 Likes 0 ·
sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

The 5k MP II definitely has all the ground connections tied together. So you should not connect the house ground to the system in more than one place.

You do not say what the "house ground" consists of. Do you have a proper earth spike? On an ESS in the UK this should have a resistance of less than 200 ohms, in addition to any grid-supplied earth ("Which in our case we have not got")

2 |3000

Related Resources

MultiPlus-II Product page 

MultiPlus-II Manual

MultiPlus-II 230V Datasheet 

VE.Bus Error codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic