question

jasonjs avatar image
jasonjs asked

Victron Multiplus Ground Issue?

I have a Victron Multiplus 12v 3000w Inverter / Charger. I wired the AC output into the 120v AC Circuit Panel in my RV and it's not producing an output that makes any sense.

Using a multimeter, I have measured that there is 120v and just under 1 amp that makes it to the circuit panel where I have installed a new 50amp single pole breaker. I have validated the voltage on the bus bar in the circuit panel as well (I forgot to check for amperage).

The Multiplus via VictronConnet shows 120v output on AC1 but Power is 0w, Current is 0.00A (sometimes it shows -0.02A) and 60.0Hz frequency.

I'm stumped because nothing in the circuit panel seems to be getting energized.

Could this be a bad ground? A bad neutral? I'm having some difficulties making good connections with the heavy gauge 6/3 wire into the panel but it should be good enough to make something light up.

Details:

The AC output L1 is a 6/3 AWG stranded wire with a run length of about 8 feet with no junctions between the multiplus and the circuit panel.

The Multiplus shows a "Inverting" state in VictronConnect

The battery shows 13.46v at 0.0A Current at 56 degrees F.

AC Input is 0v, 0.00a, etc.

Thanks,

Jason

Multiplus-IIGroundingac
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

You may have a dangerous situation here.
I'd strongly advise that you have your local electrician come and diagnose the fault.
With potentially lethal faults, it'd be irresposible for someone on the internet to offer advice without being able to see or inspect anything in person.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Rob Fijn avatar image
Rob Fijn answered ·

Hello Jasonjs, check this AES function using VEConfigure3.

1604963028807.png

If this is enabled and you are trying to measure with NO load on the output.. the multi meter will not make anything of it.

Hope this helps.
best regards, Rob

1604963023168.png (12.5 KiB)
1604963028807.png (12.5 KiB)
2 |3000

jasonjs avatar image
jasonjs answered ·

OP here - I'm almost certain I know what the issues is. (My RV is in storage or I would check before posting)

My Circuit Panel is a Progressive Dynamics PD5500 series distribution panel. There are 10 circuit breaker slots and only the last five (near the bottom) are being used. I needed to upgrade from the 30 amp main circuit breaker to a 50 amp main circuit breaker (single pole) to handle the voltage boost from the MultiPlus II. I added the new 50 amp circuit breaker in the next available slot (6th from the bottom).

The issue is that this sixth slot is not part of the bus bar for the other five. The different bus bar configurations are documented here:

https://www.progressivedyn.com/wp-content/uploads/Support/manuals/PD5500-configuration_options.pdf

I have Stab Configuration #3 which shows a five and five arrangement.

I think the solution is as simple as taking out the 30 amp and replacing the 50 amp in it's place.

Hope this helps someone else!

2 |3000

Related Resources

MultiPlus-II Product page 

MultiPlus-II Manual

MultiPlus-II 230V Datasheet 

VE.Bus Error codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic