question

tarpkir avatar image
tarpkir asked

VE Bus smart Dongle doesn't show up in V-Connect App

This question was asked by nekktt in Dec 14 2020 at 5:15 AM and never answered. I am having the same issue. My VE.bus smart dongle connects via Bluetooth. I followed the recommended connection sequence. The blinking blue light on the VE bus turns solid blue once connected. The Victron Connect app scans, but always returns with no devices found. I have restarted the BT connection. I have restarted the V-Connect app. No changes.

VE.bus smart dongle is connected to a Multi-plus 2000 via RJ-45, which also does not show up in the app. At this point, the V-Connect app is useless, as is the smart dongle. This is supposed to be the easy part.

Suggestions? Thanks....

installationVE.Bus Smart Dongle
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi @tarpkir

I also saw the answers you posted on other peoples questions. In these answers you mention a Mk3 interface, but here you are talking about the VE.Bus smart dongle. Did you use both at the same time?

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

Different RJ-45 cable?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tarpkir avatar image
tarpkir answered ·

Finally connected and showed up in App. How to: Go away over night. Before attempting again, disconnect RJ-45. The RJ-45's purpose is to communicate with the Multi-plus. I believe the V-Connect app sees the BT connection. But having the Smart Dongle and Multi-plus connected confuses the App and it doesn't add either to the list of devices. Having the Smart Dongle as stand alone allows the App to add it as the first device. Once that is done, you can reconnect the RJ-45 to the Multi-plus and that will (eventually) also be added to the list. At that point, the Multi-plus takes precedence and the connection to the Smart Dongle is no longer visible.

It would be nice if this were in the documentation for initial set up.

2 |3000

tarpkir avatar image
tarpkir answered ·

To Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff)

I did not use both interfaces at the same time. I knew that I needed both devices, though I don't understand why the Smart Dongle is not capable of configuration changes. Worried about end users getting themselves in trouble?

Smart Dongle purchased for daily use / monitoring. MK3 purchased for configuration use. They both use Victron Connect and hence provide basically the same information. With the Smart Dongle, I had hoped that I could turn the Multiplus on / off remotely. And while you can perform what I'll call a soft off, it still is using 5 watts. Upon further reading, I find that the VE.Bus BMS V2 can fully shut off the Multiplus. But, as I don't see Bluetooth as one of its capabilities, that doesn't seem a viable solution either. (sorry - probably more information than you wanted)

I initially used (installed) the smart dongle, as that seemed the best starting place. After success with that, I moved on to the MK3 so I could configure the Multiplus and tighten the battery parameters. I must say though, that I am frustrated and a little disappointed at the time involved to get both of these working, and then the limitations of each product.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @tarpkir

Thank you for the extensive information. I can imagine the frustration and disappointment as this behavior is also not how we expect it to perform. Both products should be plug and play. Unfortunately, without more information like a service report from such a situation, it is very hard to determine what cause was of the problems. So all I can at say this moment is that when such behavior is encountered again, please make a service report and post that here on the forum.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic