question

usernamepasswordbs avatar image
usernamepasswordbs asked

How to stop the menu partly covering the dashboard page

As stated, How do I stop the black left-hand menu blocking the dashboard page? I have 'shrunk' the page with Chrome zoom settings but that doesn't help.

Please can anyone advise me how to do this?

TIA

VRM
10 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alistair Warburton avatar image Alistair Warburton commented ·
Are you asking about VRM or a local view?

Can you post a pic or screenshot?

0 Likes 0 ·
usernamepasswordbs avatar image usernamepasswordbs Alistair Warburton commented ·

Thanks for your reply. I've actually got this going on another answer thread now if you would like to take a look: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/142982/vrm-not-updating.html?childToView=181432#answer-181432

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ usernamepasswordbs commented ·
Please post the screenshot here, the other question has nothing to do with this problem.

What system and browser do you use? Did you try another browser?

0 Likes 0 ·
usernamepasswordbs avatar image usernamepasswordbs Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Ok, here you are:

System is win 10, browser is chrome.

screenshot-13.png

0 Likes 0 ·
screenshot-13.png (158.7 KiB)
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ usernamepasswordbs commented ·
Try another browser, clear the cache and cookies of Chrome.
0 Likes 0 ·
usernamepasswordbs avatar image usernamepasswordbs Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
I would rather not have to get used to another browser if possible. I will clear the cache etc. and let you know what happens.
0 Likes 0 ·
usernamepasswordbs avatar image usernamepasswordbs usernamepasswordbs commented ·
Just updated chrome, clear cache and cookies. Closed VRM and reopened it and signed in but still the same problem.
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ usernamepasswordbs commented ·
Unfortunately Chrome has compatibility issues, not just here. It's one of it's "features". Edge is also just a Chrome variant.
0 Likes 0 ·
Using another browser is just for troubleshooting to see if it is a problem with your Chrome or something.

I don't have any problems with Chrome.

Do you have any add-ons installed in Chrome? If yes disable them all, just for testing.

0 Likes 0 ·
johnone avatar image johnone Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

That you have a horizontal scroll bar could be a clue - i.e. for some reason the browser isn't following the page's css instructions.

You could visit https://css3test.com/ and see what score you get. I'm seeing 63% on Chrome Version 108.0.5359.125 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Windows 11

Chrome works fine for me.

0 Likes 0 ·
5 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Try and adjust your screen resolution (?) for that tab. 3 dots at the top of the page > zoom > adjust % down.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

johnone avatar image johnone commented ·

Don't think that's relevant - try it yourself and see if you can replicate what the OP is seeing. On a browser that is obeying the css instructions, once a min pixel width is detected, the left menu reduces to a 'hamburger' icon.

0 Likes 0 ·
usernamepasswordbs avatar image usernamepasswordbs commented ·
Tried adjusting zoom.
0 Likes 0 ·
usernamepasswordbs answered ·

I've shifted the taskbar to the bottom

screenshot-15.png

screenshot-15.png (175.8 KiB)
2 |3000

usernamepasswordbs answered ·

Turned off extensions but no luck.

6 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Checked these 2 settings?

windoze-display.png

Outofideas...

0 Likes 0 ·
windoze-display.png (46.9 KiB)
johnone avatar image johnone klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Again, don't think that's relevant - try it yourself and see if you can replicate what the OP is seeing. On a browser that is obeying the css instructions, once a min pixel width is detected, the left menu reduces to a top-left 'hamburger' icon. If it doesn't reduce to an icon, it's v likely a browser-not-obeying-css issue.

0 Likes 0 ·
usernamepasswordbs avatar image usernamepasswordbs klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Scale didn't help but resolution does! I can see the whole thing now.

Only thing is the rest of my stuff is hard to read particularly the internet tabs on chrome. Oh well can't have it both ways I suppose. Or can I? Can I set the resolution to be that way just for the VRM portal? Or is the css thing (don't know what that is) the root cause and is it fixable?

In an ideal world the black menu would be closable.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ usernamepasswordbs commented ·

Only thing is the rest of my stuff is hard to read particularly the internet tabs on chrome. Oh well can't have it both ways I suppose. Or can I?

You can set a different "zoom" % for each individual browser tab. Chrome seems to remember the Zoom % the next time you open that website.

You can also tell chrome to set zoom % and font size upon opening up tabs. 3 dots at top right > settings > appearance.

0 Likes 0 ·
I will give that a go.
0 Likes 0 ·
usernamepasswordbs avatar image usernamepasswordbs usernamepasswordbs commented ·
Ah no, the zoom doesn't help, it's changing the resolution that does it but then that knackers up the rest of my visuals.
0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

You said it's a Windows 10 system.

But it's a PC/laptop or a tablet? x86 or ARM?

The resolution looks low for a PC monitor.

14 comments
2 |3000

usernamepasswordbs avatar image usernamepasswordbs commented ·
It's a laptop, I think it's 64bit.

I changed the resolution when i got the laptop because otherwise the tabs on chrome and various other things are surprisingly small and difficult to read.
0 Likes 0 ·
Try using the native screen resolution and use the scaling feature of windows.

Did you already tried another browser?

0 Likes 0 ·
I tried it that way but the scaling (I mean the zoom % on chrome and the scaling in windows screen settings) makes many things bigger but not the chrome tabs.

I haven't tried another browser yet.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ usernamepasswordbs commented ·
Are you using the recommended video driver for you computer?

Might pay to check the manufacturers website.

0 Likes 0 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, I will check the driver.
0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 usernamepasswordbs commented ·

I tried it that way but the scaling (I mean the zoom % on chrome and the scaling in windows screen settings) makes many things bigger but not the chrome tabs.

Are you sure that scaling (the one in the Windows 10 Display Settings) does not increase everything in size?

Zoom in Chrome (or other browser) only increases/decreases the webpage content. So it won't make the tabs bigger.

For LCDs, the resolution should always be set as the native resolution of the display. Any other resolution degrades the image clarity.

0 Likes 0 ·
usernamepasswordbs avatar image usernamepasswordbs seb71 commented ·
Yes totally sure. I went through the scaling when I got the laptop and again the other day trying to solve this issue. It's also a pain to do as you have to sign out and in again!

The resolution I have chosen is the only one that leaves the screen proportions correct and also makes the tabs big enough. The scaling still leaves the tabs just too small to see comfortably.
0 Likes 0 ·
Which is the native resolution?

Which resolution did you set?

What scaling (%) have you used?

0 Likes 0 ·
usernamepasswordbs avatar image usernamepasswordbs seb71 commented ·
Seb71: Resolution it wants me to use is 1920 x 1080 but I have set it to 1600 x 900.

Scaling I have on 150% (it says) but when I change the scaling it shows up as if it was set to 110% so I don't know where it is actually set. I have tried various settings of scale to no avail.

Johnone: what's CSS and how do I fix the problem?

0 Likes 0 ·

Can you do the following:

1. Set the display resolution to the native 1920x1080.

2. Set the scaling (in Windows 10 Display Settings) to 100%.

3. Open Chrome and open a few tabs in it. Make a screenshot.

4. Close Chrome.

5 Change the scaling to 150% (in Windows 10 Display Settings).

6. Open Chrome and again open a few tabs. Make another screenshot.

0 Likes 0 ·

CSS = Cascading Style Sheets

0 Likes 0 ·

Can you please just try another browser to eliminate or confirm a CSS issue?

Microsoft Edge (based on Chrome) should be installed on your system by default.

0 Likes 0 ·
Sorry I didn't click how easy it was to try Edge as it is of course installed already!

Tried Edge and it works fine with VRM portal.

0 Likes 0 ·
So it seems to be a problem with your Chrome.
0 Likes 0 ·
johnone avatar image
johnone answered ·

From a web developer perspective, it's kind of amusing to see all the experts on here going on about screen resolution, scaling and even the video drivers! To repeat, what the OP's screenshots show is the browser not following the web page css instructions - "when the screen width goes below a set size, reduce the left navigation pane to a top-left icon".

So, why isn't the OP's browser following what the page asks it to do? It's an interesting question but given nobody else is seeing the issue, questionable that it's a matter for a Victron forum.

5 comments
2 |3000

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

He did wrote that when using the native resolution (I assume he tried with the native resolution), the issue goes away:

Scale didn't help but resolution does! I can see the whole thing now.

He said that disabling browser extensions does not fix it.

Can he improve/fix Chrome browser by himself? Unlikely.

Can he change resolution and scaling by himself? Very easy. And it fixes the issue.

I did try with Chrome on a Windows 10 PC and when I resize the window to a small size, VRM page is displayed correctly in my case.

0 Likes 0 ·
johnone avatar image johnone seb71 commented ·

It's not a fix, it's a kludge - ignoring what the actual issue is, and instead forcing the user to change screen resolution for all uses!

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 johnone commented ·

As I said, for LCDs, the resolution should always be set as the native panel resolution. Then use scaling if you want to enlarge the displayed items.

1 Like 1 ·
usernamepasswordbs avatar image usernamepasswordbs johnone commented ·
So, apparently it's Chrome which is at fault here and the problem is CSS related. What do I do to fix it ? or should I take my problem elsewhere ?
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ usernamepasswordbs commented ·
It's time the developers are involved.

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) Looking through this, probably a good idea to pass it on, what Dou you think?

0 Likes 0 ·