question

siny-en-jef-janssen-peeters avatar image
siny-en-jef-janssen-peeters asked

full victron installation in a Hymer B Mci 680 with EBL Schaudt 30

I want to keep the advantages (and avoid the disadvantages) of the Schaudt EBL 30. Or would it better to replace the EBL ? I want to install a 330 Ah Lithium, inverter and charger in one piece, control over the full system in the mobil home, charging of the battery during travelling. Are there any schemes that could help me ?

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
abdmasoud avatar image
abdmasoud answered ·

It is really sorry that no one commented on this post.

I am not sure if there any Victron employ moderate this blog or not, but it is a shame that not even one Victron stuff was able to give you an answer to this matter.

There must be many Motorhome users who are fed up with the electronic used from Hymer and co. and have interest to use a complete trusty product as Victron in their Motorhomes.

Which product from Victron can replace the EBL efficiently

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

depampi avatar image
depampi answered ·

Dear Siny-en-Jef,

I’ve a full victron installation while keeping the Schaudt in place for only the 12V distribution. You can do so by unplugging the 230V of the Schaudt so it only function as 12V fused distribution box. You can that pick any of the Victron examples on how you would like to install your Victron installation.

Does this help your question?

Best regards

2 |3000

ugur avatar image
ugur answered ·

img-9424.jpegHi @Depampi ,

I have a Dethleffs motorhome with Ebl101 and would like to install full victron system. Can you please help me to do that without replacing the ebl101 ? Someone told me I have to get rid of it and that it would not charge if I am hooked up.

Thanksimg-9419.jpegImage Caption

img-9419.jpeg (2.5 MiB)
img-9424.jpeg (302.6 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

djsmiley avatar image djsmiley commented ·

the wires of the EBL are sufficient for up to 30A. Just wire the Orion in the back terminal block

Use D+ to enable the Orion.

However you are listing 2x Orion so need to upgrade the wires. I would not recommend that, but use a single Orion XS instead (cheaper, more efficient and easier to install)

remove the 20A internal charger in the EBL to disable it, the multiplus will charge the leisure battery

Important: The quote is NOT complete, they eg lack protection cables (Ve direct non-inverting cable for the MPPTs)

The MPPT needs to stop charging when there is a battery issue, and these cables are not listed in this quote.

(Not needed if you use DVCC and the Cerbo, but without the cerbo it's essential)

Also take care of the fridge: With a 3-way fridge you need to bypass the EHU so its not powered by the inverter.

If you're not familiar I would recommend contacting a local installer with experience in motorhomes.

RCD, Fridge, EBL's.. it's not too difficult if you have experience, but many sellers without any installation work themselves have no clue.

Removing the EBL is not needed and makes things complicated since it also monitors eg tank levels and leaves a big hole where the normal control panel used to be. Also requires a new fusebox and switching so thats both unnessecary and expensive.

In my experiences it takes approx 6-8 hours to install a LFP battery with MP and DCDC in a normal factory made motorhome, and another 4-6 hours to install the solar panels. Both are pretty common jobs for a installer with experience in this field.

Based on the quote and limited information (Eg mentioning the required protection wires) I would recommend checking with a installer with knowledge of motorhome refits.

0 Likes 0 ·
depampi avatar image
depampi answered ·

The answer of djsmiley is pretty complete. To disable the EBL charging function you can either remove the charging fuse or the 230 vac power connector. Since you’re planning to charge with the Orion you should also disconnect the vehicle motor battery +lead otherwise the EBL will close the relais between the motor battery/alternator when you start your engine. Instead the Orion should do the charging. Removing the EBL is indeed not necessary and complicate things as djsmiley mentions.

1 comment
2 |3000

djsmiley avatar image djsmiley commented ·
I prefer to keep the EBL connected and just remove the 20A fuse. In that way,

- the EHU indicator on the control panel continous to work

- the trickle charging of the starter battery remains working (the EBL doesnt provide the charge current, but does switch on the corresponding relay so an external battery charger also tricklecharges the starter battery

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources