question

rustythorn avatar image
rustythorn asked

newbie: MultiPlus-II 48V 3kVA 120V, Inverter RS SmartSolar 48/6000 and SmartSolar MPPT 100/20-48V

background: while i have some experience with setting up grid tie systems and building electric cars i would call myself a novice with off-grid battery systems and very little knowledge about victron systems.

overview: i'm building an all electric camper van for USA travel [60 Hz] on an EV platform. i will have a single lithium battery pack 48v 304ah with its own BMS. i will need both 120v and 240v but not necessarily at the same time. i think i can meet my needs with a combination of MultiPlus-II 48V 3kVA 120V and a Inverter RS SmartSolar 48/6000?

i will also be adding a SmartSolar MPPT 100/20-48V because i will have two different solar arrays. a 'small' one mounted on the roof of the van and a larger one that can be deployed while camping. these two arrays may not use the same type of panels and will likely be of different voltages. the smaller roof array will be 800-1000w and 55-100v [for the 100/20-48V] the larger array will be 1500-2500w and 80-450v [for Inverter RS SmartSolar 48/6000].

i assume all of that will be fine but i'm not sure how much other items i might need such as a Cerbo GX, or lynx items? i also don't see the smart-shunt on the victron website? has that been replaced with the lynx-shunt?

i see three possible combos of additional items: 1] just a lynx-distributor, 2] lynx-distributor and cerbo-GX or 3] lynx-distributor, cerbo-GX and lynx-shunt?

what are the pros and cons of each option?

Multiplus-IIMPPT Controllersinverter rs
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @rustythorn

Random stuff..

The RS 6000 won't suit. It's only 50Hz and 230V (non US). Best just to use an mppt(s). And a high V demountable array isn't the sort of thing I'd like to be packing up in the rain. Might kill you. Possibly illegal anyway, I think it is in my country. You can still have a lot of panels, but in separate strings to either a single mppt or multiples. Victron have 450/ mppts too, but I don't suggest for you.

The Smartshunt is still there.. https://www.victronenergy.com/battery-monitors. Must be a big seller for Victron, likely to remain. I'm unfamiliar with the Lynx shunt, but likely similar.

The Lynx system is great for tidying up your wires, fuses, etc. Not mission critical usually, but looks swish.

A GX device (Cerbo or whatever) is absolutely recommended if you want to know what's going on. Once used, never omitted..

Split phase isn't my go either, just check how the inverter(s) you choose fit into that requirement.

Very rarely would I suggest a drop from 48V to 24V. But there are good reasons why 24V is commonly used in mobile equipment. Safety and practicality mostly, but may also open up options for mppt selection in your case.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rustythorn avatar image
rustythorn answered ·

first foot note on the spec sheet says "1) Can be adjusted to 60 Hz"

aah that is where the smart-shunt is hiding, seems they want to push the lynx stuff given it is doubled/tripled up in various places but the smart-shunt does not show up again in accessories or DC distribution stuff.

rain? what is this rain you speak of? but i guess i will be sometimes traveling outside of the high desert i might want to think about it, thanks. this got me thinking about some alternative ways to 'plug in' the panels to the van, maybe i'll have several ports instead of one and of course there was always going to be disconnect inside the van. i highly doubt having a portable array is illegal given how big the portable array market is.

thanks for you help but my questions are still mostly up for grabs: ease of use is great but what about efficiency considerations?

2 |3000

rustythorn avatar image
rustythorn answered ·

humm, maybe i'm too new to have hot links i'll try to post the URL to the victron spec sheet here instead https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Inverter-RS-Smart-Solar-EN.pdf

2 |3000