question

matt13 avatar image
matt13 asked

Does limiting charging current on MPPT also affect load output?

I have a 100/20 SmartSolar MPPT charge controller with a load output that I would like to use to charge a 60Ah lead-acid battery.

Does limiting the charging current to 12A in the app (20% of 60Ah) also affect the load output? Or could I, under adequate sun conditions, get the 12A to the battery and draw additional current from the load output (for instance 2.1A to charge a phone through a cigarette lighter plug) so in that case get to 14.1A?

Thanks!

charge current limitcurrent limit
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Does limiting the charging current to 12A in the app (20% of 60Ah) also affect the load output?

No. The load output current is only limited by the 20a fuse in the bottom of the mppt. (and load output state of course)

If you limit the mppt's output to 12a, some of the current will go to your load (2.1a), and the remainder will go to the battery (9.9a).

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

matt13 avatar image matt13 commented ·
Not quite sure I understand; if at a given point the panels could give 14.1A, it will still only limit to 12A total (load+battery output)?

You said there's no other limit than the 20a fuse for the load so I'm a bit confused
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic