question

motylu avatar image
motylu asked

EVCS - wrong power/currents, wrong VRM dashboard, frozen slide switch in VRM

Hello,

today I was charging my new toy (Renault Zoe Z.E.50 :-)) ) using Victron EV charging station. EVCS is part of complete Victron PV system (3x Multis with FW v490, 3x MPPTs with the latest FW, Cerbo GX with the latest FW) and have the latest FW v1.23. I am also testing minimal charging current which can be set for proper charging the Zoe and I found some crazy behaviour.

If I set charging current 10 amps, everything is good, EVCS shows charging power/currents, Zoe is charging. But when I change current to 6 amps, EVCS still shows practically the same charging power/currents (and cumulates charged energy), but Zoe is not charging. This seems to be known problem in FW.

But I have another problem. If I start charging with 6 amps, EVCS shows corresponding power/currents on all phases (and cumulated charged energy), but Zoe is not charging! How is it possible, that EVCS indicates charging power, but EV is not charging?

6a.pngimg-6077.png

img-6075.png

If I changed charging current to 13 amps, charging power/currents on EVCS is changed to corresponding values and Zoe is charging. Also charging power is added to home consumption on AC output. This is generally OK, because EVCS is connected to AC out, but graphical interpretation in VRM is wrong, because power should be divided to EVCS and AC loads, or I have perpetuum mobile at home :--)

13a.png

img-6079.png

Charging current 10 amps also works, but charging power does not correspond to set charging current - EVCS typically indicates around 5.4 kW instead of 6.9 kW.

Next found problem is with slide switch for activate/deactivate charging. I started charging by click on button START on EVCS display. Then after some time I want to stop charging by slide switch "Charge" in VRM app (on iPhone), but even after many clicks I am not able to do that. Same situation is in VRM app on MacBook Air M1 and also in VRM portal opened in Safari (on Mac and iPhone). So I must go to garage and stop charging on EVCS display. Is this problem exists only on Apple devices with iOS/macOS or also on Android/Windows devices?

ev charging station
6a.png (308.1 KiB)
img-6077.png (8.0 MiB)
img-6075.png (9.6 MiB)
img-6079.png (9.5 MiB)
13a.png (308.8 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Because you are technical, I'm going to explain – we are measuring the peak current for every cycle. The vehicle, below 10A, is actually trying to charge, with a short pulse for every cycle. And that's why you see that incorrect value, but, if you try with a clamp-meter, most probably you're going to see the same behavior.

For VRM, the reported issues are noted. We are working on improving both control and monitoring in VRM.

And an inside info, in few days firmware v1.24 will be released, that enables Bluetooth communication, plus many other features like schedule charging. So, keep an eye on our communication channels.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

motylu avatar image motylu commented ·

Thank you @Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) for your explanation!

I am glad, that Victron Energy Staff is listening and is able to react and make changes and improvements! This is also one reason (from many others) why I am using, recommending and installing Victron devices...

I am looking forward the new FW.

1 Like 1 ·
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi, for Renault Zoe, the minimum charging current is 10A. That info is available on the vehicle manual but also on ours: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/EV_Charging_Station/EV_Charging_Station-en.pdf

1673787017796.png

For the start/stop switch, can you try from the remote console or the webpage of the device and tell me if you see the same behavior ?

1673787017796.png (193.8 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

motylu avatar image motylu commented ·

Hi @Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ,

thank you for you very prompt reply!

From remote console and from EVCS webpage, start/stop switch works correctly.

I know about recommendation in case of Zoe. I saw four current Talema transformers inside EVCS - three for phase currents and one probably for measuring leakage current, so how is it possible that EVCS indicates charging power, if vehicle is not charged?

10 amps is working, but accuracy of charging power is very poor. I make calibration on 13 amps, but if I go to less current, accuracy very rapidly decreases. If EVCS would calculate charging power using actual phase voltages from Multis, it will be much better.

And according to VRM dashboard you can see, that charging power is added to "AC Loads" power, but also is indicated as input to EVCS, so charging power should be subtracted from "AC loads" power.

0 Likes 0 ·