question

Jim Ryan avatar image
Jim Ryan asked

How is battery 'Time to Go' in VRM calculated?

Dear Community,
Can anyone exlain t me how the VRM 'Time to Go' figure is calculated? In particular, how is it calculated when I am not using SOC but instead using battery voltage as the 'trigger' for generator stat/stop functions configured on my Cerbo GX relay.
I read somewhere in another person's response to a similar question that the Time to Go was calculated based upon the current SOC as compared to the low SOC's configured in the relay.
I have a large bank of LFP batteries and SOC is NOT a good indication of their state....whereas DC voltage is an ideal indicator of battery state.
At present my VRM suggests much longer Time to Go periods than are realistic. It may say 12 hours when in reality I only have 2 hours.....before my Cerbo GX is configured to start the generator.
If the configuration of the LBCO (low battery cut out) in the System Configurator together with the generator stop/start voltages in the Cerbo are not the basis of this calculation....then what is the basis? What inputs are used to make the calculation?
I don't pay much attention to SOC readings...rather I always focus on battery voltage.....but my client naturally looks at the SOC, because the SOC is displayed much more prominently and continuously....compared to the voltages. And for the lay person it is much easier to understand a SOC percentage compared to interpretting a voltage to a battery state. But this can be dangerous if the SOC is not accurate.....and is associated with a 'Time to Go' that is totally bogus.
Thank you for an explanation of the Time to Go calculation!
Cheers,
Jim

VRM
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Time to go is calculated from SOC, battery capacity, discharge floor and average load of the averaging period. These settings are in the BMV or smart/lynx shunt. Generator stop/start is completely separate.

If there's no shunt/monitor in the system, then ignore this.

It might be worth checking how the state of charge calculation is set up. Charge efficiency, Peukert factor, voltage, detection time and so on.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jim Ryan avatar image Jim Ryan commented ·
Thank you KevG,

I will check settings in my 2000A SmartShunt.
Gracias!

0 Likes 0 ·
Chad Heiser avatar image
Chad Heiser answered ·

The time to go feature is set up in the Shunt. You set the percentage state of charge you want as the “floor” and then the Shunt will calculate the time to go until that number is met based on the loads. It is completely separate from the generator start stop functionality.

1 comment
2 |3000

Jim Ryan avatar image Jim Ryan commented ·

Thank you Chad. I'll double check my settings for the 2000A SmartShunt. I am confident the battery bank capacity, Peukert, etc is correct.....but I don't recall if I set a 'floor' SOC. Probably not as I generally ignore SOC figures and probably didn't want to enter a parameter that might otherwise inerfere with my voltage parameter settings.
Thank you Chad!

0 Likes 0 ·