question

KämpingVan Conversions OÜ avatar image
KämpingVan Conversions OÜ asked

Fusing Victron Solar panel arrays

Hi everyone,

I have a question about fusing solar panel arrays. My understanding from reading online is that you have to fuse individual panels in a situation where your arrays short circunt current is over the maximum series fuse rating. Also the fuse for each panel should be the same size as "maximum series fuse rating". However I couldn't find this information about Victron Bluesolar Mono panels (googled and looked through the datasheet). Is the information somewhere else or should I use somekind of different logic.

My previous experience is only with connecting panels to series so haven't had this problem before.

Thanks a lot!

Solar Panelfuses
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@KampingVan

generally depends on how you are connecting them and to what. so if a common tracker, then fuse each string and if being combined into one mppt then an over current device there like a PV disconnect..

fuse for cable size is also a consideration. Go at least 1.25 the size of short circuit amps fuse size per string. I have not used the Victron modules so this is general information, but the principle is the same.

For the overall fusing/disconnect (it often ends up being a breaker at this point since you are not supposed to disconnect fuses under load (and fusing is usually 30A max anyway) - combine the isc and multiply by 1.25 again.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic