question

afk314 avatar image
afk314 asked

Cut off low-temp charging from all sources with a Venus

I want to cut off all charging to my lithium batteries when below a certain temperature. My system includes a MPPT, BMV, Multiplus, and a Venus.

My original plan was to:

1. Connect the BMV temp sensor to the battery, link the BMV and the MPPT and cut charging when under some predefined temp.
  2. Additionally, use a relay on the BMV to trigger an assistant on the multiplus to cut charging at the same temperature.

However I am beginning to think that maybe I can do all of this on the Venus. Can you please provide me with a recommendation that Victron supports?

Thanks and sorry for some duplicate posting but getting this question answered hasn't been easy!

Thanks!

MPPT ControllersMultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerVenus GX - VGX
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

afk314 avatar image afk314 commented ·

Note: The following is super confusing:

"VE.Smart Networking is designed for small systems which do not have a Venus-device - such as a Color Control GX or Venus GX. In systems which have a Venus-device, do not use VE.Smart Networking - See FAQ 6."

(FAQ 6 link below)

"No. The CCGX/Venus GX already has voltage sensing (soon they will have temperature sensing too). Adding Smart Battery Sense to the installation will confuse the voltage-sensing data. For further information please see: CCGX/Distributed Voltage and Current Control."

Is Smart Networking supported for temperature or not?

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
afk314 avatar image
afk314 answered ·

Anyone have an idea on this?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

glubux avatar image
glubux answered ·

Having the same issue here, I'm pretty sure Venus can pause/resume charge depending on temperature, someone Victron guy told me it will be available in the future but it was a year ago...

2 |3000

afk314 avatar image
afk314 answered ·

Hard to get info on this but I'll share what I learned:

• I reached out to Johannes Boonstra directy and to paraphrase he said that the approach I mentioned above will not work. The MPPT only has one VE.Direct port and that will be used by the Venus. So, the only way to have the MPPT cut charging based on temp is a "remote on/off" switch - which might be something I make or buy, not sure.
  • It still seems like we could use the relay and an assistant on the Multiplus to connect charging from the BMV.. not sure why this wouldn't work.

Hopefully more info will come.

Adam

2 |3000

blond2silver avatar image
blond2silver answered ·

Hello, It would be great to get an update regarding a solution whereby, the Venus or CCGX feature DVCC to cut off the charging, for both the Multi and MPPT on temperature - especially for Lithium base battery banks without having to add the complexity of additional relays.

2 |3000