question

debit avatar image
debit asked

BlueSolar MPPT 75/15 mounted in battery compartment

I just purchased a 2015 Casita with a BlueSolar MPPT 75/15 controller mounted inside the very small battery compartment on the side (picture below). Is this ok? Is it safe in general, as in sparks and explosions, and is it safe for the controller, in terms of gasses?

The picture is rotated for some reason. Controller is to left side of battery

Thanks for any help provided.

battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Really up to you, if the batteries do gase a lot then damage could occur.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

debit avatar image debit commented ·

Is it safe? Does the controller spark? I’m less concerned about gassing, but more concerned about sparks and fire

0 Likes 0 ·
graham avatar image
graham answered ·

DebiT If your batteries are sealed then it should not be a great problem.

It is not ignition proof and if the battery compartment is sealed maybe not a good idea. Also any gassing can carry sulphuric with it so corrosion could be a possible problem.

I can guess why it was put in there, voltdrop between the controller and the battery. The 75/15 terminal size will only take 6 mm² / AWG10 cable and it is possible that moving it using 6 mm² / AWG10 would lead to an unacceptable voltdrop. Personally I look for better then 0.5% voltdrop at 50% of the maximum charging current. That using 6 mm² / AWG10 cable would mean a cable run of just less than 2 metres - unless the cable size was increased close to the 75/15.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic