question

justint avatar image
justint asked

AC grounding parallel inverters

When your using two inverters in parallel how do you ground the AC. Do you connect each inverters AC ground out terminal with a wire or grounding strap to separate ground rods? The same ground rod? Were you connect one inverters ground to the other inverters ground and that inverters ground to the grounding rod. Thanks

multiplus in parallel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

As a general principle connect all equipment separately to a "star point" (or Main Earthing Terminal in UK parlance), then connect to this MET a single ground rod and any bonding wires to water and gas pipes and structural steelwork.

This approach is better than wiring from one inverter to another as you can disconnect any piece of equipment for servicing without it affecting anything else.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Fideri avatar image
Fideri answered ·

@sharpener

The chassis (in plural) of my two Quattros are both grounded via a shared grounding busbar. The system is entirely off-grid. This is consistent with your comment. But I read that the Quattros make an internal bonding between ground and neutral in such a setting. I also read that I can't have more than one bonding in a system (or Quattros in parallel ensure that there is only one ground/neutral bonding in the system?) So I thought of two possible approaches:

1. Ignore the ground outputs of the two Quattros and simply run the live and neutral from the two Quattros to an ungrounded busbar and on to my AC loads. I that case, my loads would have no ground: I can't think of any of my loads that requires ground.

2. Install another ungrounded busbar dedicated to the ground outputs of the two Quattros and on to my AC loads. In that case, my present loads would have a probably redundant ground.

Which approach is better ignoring the cost?

Fideri

2 |3000