question

Herve RV Nizard avatar image
Herve RV Nizard asked

Wind gen integration with Victron/Pylontech

Question for the group. Grateful for some advice on mixing wind to a traditional Victron/Pylontech system. 1st time for us ! I read as many articles I could on the subject in this forum. Saw some interesting information, but still have concerns .

We have to install an off-grid system with a mix of solar and wind + generator on a remote caribbean island . System design is :

20 x 435 w panels (12 south to a 250/100) +(4 East to a 150/35) (+4 West to a 150/35)

5 Pylontech UP5000

Quattro 15Kva 48v

2 X Wind generators 2000w at 48 v . (The 2 charge controllers for the windgen have been set for Ion-Lithium batteries , at 53 v max) . These 2 wind controllers have no dump load but are "supposed" to brake the turbine as needed !

All going to a set of Lynx (Power In / Shunt / Distributor)

I am very familiar with all the solar / generator side of the system . I have never added wind , and it's a must at this location and based on the request.

I must admit I am a bit afraid to connect these 2 wind gen which I don't know to a great victron/Pylon system . I don't know enough the quality of these wind generators and their relevant charge controllers .The site is very remote . I would not want to have the windgen send too much voltage to the Pylontech , risking to have their BMS to shut down the whole system due to overvoltage .

Initially, we had designed such that the wind gen / Wind gen controllers would be connected via a DC fuse to the Lynx Power In , on the load side of the Lynx Shunt ; And treat the DC production of the wind gen as "Has DC" , expecting a negative figure.

So I am trying to find a way to "separate" as much as possible the wind part from the solar part .

I would be interested to get comments on the following option :

• Send the Wind gen production to the wind controllers

• Link the output of the wind controllers to the input of a new Victron MPPT charge controller , so it can be integrated to the Victron / Pylontech system via the Cerbo)

• Connect the output of this Victron Charge controller to the Lynx / Shunt / batteries . Simply to have a last control via a settable Victron controller speaking to the Pylontech BMS via the Cerbo .

• Does this make sense ? I am conscious of the limitation due to the start voltage of the Victron MPPT and this is a concern of course.

• Would it be better to have a separate battery and a small inverter to recharge the main solar system via the AC IN 2 of the Quattro ?

I am open to all comments from members of this group who have already faced a wind integration to a Victron system. I am open to hiring any installer experienced / Knowledgeable to have an online session .

Thanks for assistance .

MPPT Controllerscerbo gxwind
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Al avatar image Al commented ·
52v max recommended for Pylontech.

Without knowing the wind turbines / controllers and if someone will lower them every time a proper storm comes, it's pretty likely you still need a dump load.

I'd use a dedicated smart shunt set as wind generator before the lynx power in.

0 Likes 0 ·
Herve RV Nizard avatar image Herve RV Nizard Al commented ·
Thanks . Appreciate . Nobody will lower them except for a large hurricane . So when tropical waves or storms pass, there will indeed be high wind on this location on top of an island . What type of dump load would you think of ? May be a water heater ? But I wanted to try to have something between the unknown windgen and its controller , and the well known Victron world with MPPT CC , Cerbo.... and Pylontech batteries . You mentioned adding a smart shunt or BMV before the Power In : Interesting . So this shunt would measure only the wind, and thus would report the wind to the Cerbo : Correct ? Plus the dump load could be triggered from the smart shunt when wind reaches a certain voltage ? Do I understand correctly what you are saying ? Thanks anyway.
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
John Leslie avatar image
John Leslie answered ·

Way outside my area of expertise - I happened to be researching SuperWind generators and came across this Remote Turbine Run-Stop control device. I've not used it so this is in no way an endorsement, just passing along an fyi.

https://missioncriticalenergy.com/remote-turbine-stop-run-control/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SQ6DfSFcj4

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Al avatar image
Al answered ·

Hi, yes. A dedicated smart shunt can be set as a wind generator and display via the cerbo, and logged on VRM. You could use assistants either in the multi or with the cerbo relay outputs to trigger a dump load on voltage or power etc. But there are more people familiar with wind expertise to advise on the dump loads. In principle a water heater immersion or two appropriately sized for max continuous output could work. Normally they are large resistive heaters fixed externally so will stay on when needed unlike an immersion when the tank is hot. - Unless the tank can dump the heat through radiators etc when up to temperature.

You really need to know the spec of the controllers to see what they can or can't do, and if the wind turbine system spec has a recommended dump load controller system.

2 |3000