question

bartrs avatar image
bartrs asked

Grid alarm: Grid lost

Hi all,

First of all, a Merry Christmas to everybody!

As I'm new to off grid and only bought my Victron setup last month, I've been playing with battery/solar/charging settings to get to know and understand the system.

I've been charging the batteries by solar and with temporary grid connection. I never had an alarm. So for the last 2 weeks or so it has been working perfect.

Yesterday I've set up the Cerbo relais (generator) as I wanted the Multi 2 to start and stop charging at desired SOC levels.

All worked fine, until I removed the temporary grid connection: Grid alarm, grid lost.

Which is a good thing.
So I cleared the alarm and plugged the grid back in, alarm popped up again.

I've set the Multi off, waited for 15 minutes and back on. A new Grid alarm.
I then checked the voltage AC-in with Multimeter, 229,2V and checked the VRM Advanced Graphic, yes the grid is connected.
Unless I go into Remote settings and disable 'Monitor for grid failure' there is no way I can stop the Alarm.

What is going on?

Thanks for your help in advance !

gridalarm
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@BartR

Is the system rejecting the grid? Or set to inverter only?

The other possible thing is something is loose. Since you did temporarily disconnect and then reconnect it?

I assume you want to keep the alarm monitoring on?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bartrs avatar image bartrs commented ·

All is connected properly, nothing loose (I can see in VRM Graphic there is grid connected).

Yes I did temporarily disconnect it, but the after reconnecting and clearing the alarm its like the Multi doesn't see it's connected, although it does show in VRM graphic AND I've checked voltage on AC- in, both show 229v.

Multiplus is set at 'on' (inverter and charger).

So I would say the system is rejecting grid.

I have now put a decent load on the batteries for it to drain, and will then change charging parameters. Clearly if the Multi starts charging AND the alarm keeps popping up there is something wrong with software.
P.S. all Victron is on latest firmware, just checked it.

0 Likes 0 ·
bartrs avatar image bartrs bartrs commented ·

tempimageuadt5n.gif

tempimage9jpuhl.gif

As you can see there is grid.
Will start charging in a few minutes, lets see what happens.

0 Likes 0 ·
bartrs avatar image
bartrs answered ·

@Alexandra

Here are some pictures:

Charging started at 80% SOC, set at 88% SOC, 14:09hr :

img-3258.png

Charging stopped as it reached the 88% SOC, 14:11hr :
img-3260.png

One minute later, 14:12hr :

img-3262.png

img-3258.png (1.1 MiB)
img-3260.png (522.9 KiB)
img-3262.png (386.3 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
So the grid is there but it is not using it. Are you using virtual switch or some other way to disconnect to prioritise self consumption?
0 Likes 0 ·
bartrs avatar image bartrs Alexandra ♦ commented ·

All I did was set the Cerbo relais by Assistent as I wanted to charge by SOC (which worked but since then it causes the alarm).

If that is the issue it is odd, because yes there is grid (its visible everywhere).

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ bartrs commented ·

If you look above the voltage in, the line reads disconnected. You have set it to disconnect. So grid is lost in that the internal relay is no lomger connected.

Maybe the grid lost alarm is not for you since you are using a self consumption priority set up.

Try the voltage one, you have to set it up in the vrm though.

0 Likes 0 ·
bartrs avatar image
bartrs answered ·

I'm going to load the old file into the Multiplus, as I have a feeling the Generator setting is causing this issue (something in the system thinks there is no grid, due to the Cerbo relais).

Edit: uploaded old file into Multiplus, let's wait and find out.

4 comments
2 |3000

Well ,that didn't last long..... grid alarm, even with the old settings I used before and never had a grid alarm !
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ bartrs commented ·
If everything else is working and grid is being rejected, use the mk3 and the ve bus monitor to check what it might be unhappy with.
1 Like 1 ·
bartrs avatar image bartrs nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

You mean this:
VE.Bus Monitor ?

0 Likes 0 ·
bartrs avatar image bartrs bartrs commented ·

I'm going to disable 'Monitor Grid failure' for now, I got a couple of very busy working days ahead. But i'm surely going to dive into this as I want to know and understand why this is happening.
PV charging and inverting are working great.
Worst case scenario I will have to reset the Cerbo and Multi, for a fresh new start. I'm not in a hurry as there isn't a lot of sun here in Holland at the moment :(

Thanks for your input!

0 Likes 0 ·
netrange avatar image
netrange answered ·

Did you enable input current limiting or limit the charge current so the multi doesn't draw too much current through the AC In ?
Possibly something is defective in the supply line. So it shows 229V in idle but can't draw any load over the supply line because then its voltage collapses.

1 comment
2 |3000

I've tried between 6 and 25 amps, which didn't make a difference.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic