question

saboken avatar image
saboken asked

Use for extra Victron shunt 500A

When I had my system installed they didn't have the Lynx shunt available. So they used a 500a Smart Shunt. I have since replaced with the Lynx shunt. What can I use the extra shut for? My system is in a 5Th wheel camper I have 1200 watts of PV, 2 Battle Born Game changer batterys, 150-100 MPPT, Multi plus II 3000 12v, Lynx distributor and 1000a Shunt, Cerbo GX and the display, I want to put the extra shut to use if possible, if it's not practical to use it I'll just save it in the rare case the Lynx shunt dies.

SmartShuntlynx shunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
jkmann avatar image
jkmann answered ·

If all of your equipment is "smart" from Victron, you should already have all the measurements that you need using Victron Connect and the Cerbo GX. Personally I would not add anything that you don't really need as it just increases the complexity of your system and adds another point of failure.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Depends a lot on how the RV is set up, but you could use it to monitor a DC section. Chances are, though, that as @jkmann said, it's redundant.

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

I have a second shunt to monitor my DC loads. This value is calculated unless a shunt is used to measure it. The calculations are not stable as the samples of various currents in the system aren't in precise time sync. With the shunt, displayed values are stable and much more accurate.

3 comments
2 |3000

jkmann avatar image jkmann commented ·
What do you do differently as a result of this more precise measurment of your DC loads? In my case a "rough" measure is adequate for my purposes, and I already know the consumption rating of all my DC loads, so I'm wondering what a more precise measure might be used for.
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem jkmann commented ·
I don't do anything differently with a shunt for DC loads. It just gives me a number I can trust more. Does it add value to the system? Not really.
1 Like 1 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ jkmann commented ·
Good point, but the inaccuracies in the DC loads side without a shunt is driving me nuts.
0 Likes 0 ·