question

oceanwolfe avatar image
oceanwolfe asked

installed 4 Smartsolar MPPT controllers, none show in bluetooth

I've installed four Smartsolar MPPT controllers (three - 75/15 and one 100/30). All connect to a common battery-charging bus. None show up on the bluetooth controls for my MacBook Pro (OS 12.6.1) or my iPhone (iOS 16.1.2).

I also have a Cerbo GX and MMV-72 that are bluetooth compatible, but which also don't show up.

Plenty of other bluetooth object do show up. Nothing is presently paired with my laptop or phone. The GX and the BMV are connected to each other via wired network, not bluetooth.

I'm using VictronConnect 5.80.

I've restarted all possible combinations after reading of earlier bluetooth problems. Doesn't make a difference. Is the Victron bluetooth broken again?

MPPT SmartSolarBluetooth
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

oceanwolfe avatar image oceanwolfe commented ·

Hold that thought. After gritting my teeth and connect the battery to the MPPT controllers and THEN plugging the panels into the controllers (which one is advised strongly by the panel people not to do), I still didn't see anything on the MacBook Pro BUT now see them on the iPhone. updating MPPT software now so we'll see if that changes.

0 Likes 0 ·
oceanwolfe avatar image oceanwolfe oceanwolfe commented ·

And...I was able to update the software on the MPPTs via my iPhone, but am still unable to see them on my laptop, where I prefer to operate. Any ideas on how whether this is a OS conflict, or a procedural problem?

0 Likes 0 ·
Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack oceanwolfe commented ·
What is this:

... THEN plugging the panels into the controllers (which one is advised strongly by the panel people not to do)

A SolarCharger which autodetect the system voltage must be ALWAYS connected first to the Battery and then to the Solarpanels.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The manual of the MPPT says to always connect the battery first and then the PV.

Don't use the Bluetooth menu of MacBook, you have to use VictronConnect and give VictronConnect access to Bluetooth.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VictronConnect_Manual/en/troubleshooting.html

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Manual_SmartSolar_MPPT_75-10_up_to_100-20/en/troubleshooting-and-support.html#UUID-06e37fec-f1d9-309f-30f0-77d0ac15ee8d

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my message, I was looking with VictronConnect on both iPhone and MacBook, not with the "native" bluetooth search.

I had tried connecting the MPPT controllers both with the battery side first and with the panel side first. No show either way (on the laptop, they did show on the phone after the battery-first connection).

I guess the hookup sequence conflict between panel manufacturers and controller manufacturers is that hooking the panels in to a "hot" MPPT controller makes a spark at the connector plug/socket, which will eventually increase the resistance even for low voltage panels. Hence the panel advice to hook the panels to the system while they are disconnected from the batteries.

I know one could add a disconnect switch, but this would definitely add to charging circuit resistance and doesn't really seem needed for my 24V panels. I definitely would have disconnects if using higher voltage panels or they were series connected.

0 Likes 0 ·
Sarah avatar image Sarah commented ·

A correctly sequenced reboot of the MPPT controllers (as originally advised by @Matthias Lange - DE ) fixed my previous Bluetooth problems.

0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi

We are not aware of any issues on MacOS. What we have experienced a few times is that it helps to reboot the Mac when it is unable to find anything. When this does not help, can you please make a Service report (https://ve3.nl/VictronConnect_How-to-create-a-VictronConnect-Service-Report) and post that here?

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

1 comment
2 |3000

I hadn't rebooted the laptop. I'll give that a try.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

VictronConnect bluetooth troubleshooting guide

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic