question

mattyroo avatar image
mattyroo asked

Quattro limiting charge current

I have installed a Quattro, it is set-up with DVCC. For some reason, it always limits the charge current to the batteries at around 16A, this happens when the source is either the generator or shore power. It is not the charge current limit set in the Quattro or Cerbo, as it is much higher than this. It does not matter the SoC, it always limits the current.

I can prove that it is not the batteries limiting the current, as if I start one of the main engines, the alternators will pump in 50A or so, which is their max capacity.

What would be causing the Quattro to limit the charge current?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargercharge current limit
13 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Have you raised the quattro’s internal charge limit?

0 Likes 0 ·
mattyroo avatar image mattyroo nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Of course. It's at 90A.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ mattyroo commented ·
input current limit......?
0 Likes 0 ·
mattyroo avatar image mattyroo Alexandra ♦ commented ·
32A @ 230V, which is over 7kW of available energy. Yet it's only putting in around 400W (16A @ 24V).
0 Likes 0 ·
snoobler avatar image snoobler commented ·
Is this a Lithium battery with a BMS interfaced with the GX?
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ snoobler commented ·
Yes, thats a strong possibility. Bms control.

Or your temps are under 17°C and you have battery life enabled.

1 Like 1 ·
mattyroo avatar image mattyroo snoobler commented ·
No, not Li batteries, bog standard AGM. Summer time here, temp is well above 17deg C.
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
@mattyroo

Limit set in DVCC?

0 Likes 0 ·
mattyroo avatar image mattyroo JohnC ♦ commented ·
47A, as that is the charge current limit defined by the batteries. But no matter what this is raised to, the Quattro still limits the charge current.
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ mattyroo commented ·
@mattyroo

Make sure Weak AC Input is turned off.

0 Likes 0 ·
mattyroo avatar image mattyroo JohnC ♦ commented ·
Yes, turned off.
0 Likes 0 ·
jdb avatar image jdb mattyroo commented ·
why do you have to turn off 'Weak AC input' ?
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ jdb commented ·
@jdb

It fools with the incoming Power Factor and reduces the ability to charge. Quite a large effect too.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
mattyroo avatar image
mattyroo answered ·

I have found the problem. DVCC does not account for DC loads, as per Victron website:

"DC Loads may not be accounted for, unless a SmartShunt or BMV-712 is installed and correctly configured as a DC meter. For example, without the DC load monitor a configured maximum charge current of 50A and DC Loads drawing 20A, the battery will be charged with 30A, not with the full allowed 50A. With the SmartShunt configured as a DC meter, maximum charge current configured at 50A and DC system shunt reports a draw of 25A, then the chargers are set to charge with 50 + 25 = 75A."

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/CCGX/en/dvcc---distributed-voltage-and-current-control.html

I will need to install another shunt for just the loads, as an energy meter. Cannot convert the existing smartshunt to an Energy Meter, as then lose all SoC computations.

I am surprised that the system cannot compensate for this, as it can calculate the load value, being the sum of charger(s) output less current going into the battery. The system should just look at what is going into the battery and adjust charger output to maintain the desired charge value.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.