question

chrispi avatar image
chrispi asked

MPPT 50/100 non-inverted cable, turns on when plug disconnected/possible to change this?

Hi all,

I have 3x MPPT 50/100 and steer them via non-inverted remote cable from the Electrodacus BMS, so BMS switches on/off the MPPT to charge

Problem is if the plug of the non-inverted cable in the VE-Port of the MPPT goes out the MPPT switches on by default. That’s really bad because that plug sits very loose in the connector and gets disconnected easily, 2nd if remote cable gets damaged or disconnected the bank gets charged and could be damaged. One of the 3 is not smart so I need the VE-Bus connector to program the MPPT via BT dongle, on the other 2 I just glue the connector in.

Is there any way that remote functionality can be adjust so if plug disconnects it shuts off, I hope so….if not an extremely bad design….

MPPT ControllersBMSremote console
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Your MPPTs should be set with correct battery charge settings so that if a cable disconnect occurs it falls back to safe levels

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

chrispi avatar image chrispi commented ·

Wrong answer, don’t bandage the damage and fix the Root cause. the BMS knows when one cell gets to 3,65V but the MPPT doesn‘t as it just sees the total voltage at the MPPT(!) with all the cable losses but not single cells voltage AND current. You can also overcharge a bank/cell even you are below 3,65V, you need to monitor current too to avoid that.

The Electrodacus BMS controls the charge of all charge sources as proper mastermind in the system, the MPPT settings are just last line of defense which potentially already could damage a cell. And this risk from a plug that easily disconnects is unacceptable. Plug design is bad, why not use rj45 much better but I forgot you cannot charge 40Euro for a cable in this case….

And if you tell me to set conservative parameters…a 24V 8s setup forget that as it will be so low that the battery won‘t be fully charged ever and getting out of balance…been there, not a proper way to do it. The Victron MPPT was my favorite one to install but with a BMS and Lithium I will avoid it now…and no I don‘t want to use a bigger model as I figured one MPPT per bifacial panel gives you the best output plus redundancy and 440 till 550W per bifacial panel which is the 100/50 in 12V or the 100/30 in 24V. On bluewater boats, so space is premium, redundancy a must and every amp counts.

Just a very bad design Victron plug &remote functionality if that cannot be changed. again remote functionality nowhere properly documented. For a top of the line product that costs a premium price unacceptable.

0 Likes 0 ·